Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > An interesting article on 17" availability

An interesting article on 17" availability
morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2003, 06:27 PM

Think Secret sheds some much-needed light on the the 17" shipping time frame with this article.

If this is true, Apple really needs to stop using MacWorld as a buzz generator. With national exposure, it sucks to repeatedly not deliver what's promised, esp. if they're fully aware that they're looking their loyal customers in their collective eyes and lying.
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2003, 09:49 PM

Interesting - even though from a rumor site. I said it before and I'll say it again: APRIL?!?

Originally posted by morlium:
Think Secret sheds some much-needed light on the the 17" shipping time frame with this article.

If this is true, Apple really needs to stop using MacWorld as a buzz generator. With national exposure, it sucks to repeatedly not deliver what's promised, esp. if they're fully aware that they're looking their loyal customers in their collective eyes and lying.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2003, 10:14 PM

Think Secret rarely has any hard evidence at all. I can assure you that they don't have a voice recording of that call on January 8th. They say they have "inside information," but most of their so-called "evidence" is mere speculation that anyone who knows how the industry works could come up with. These are the kind of articles that could get them in trouble for slander and libel.

There's nothing to be proven by that article. We already know that orders will ship in March or April. They're only taking advantage of frustrated consumers to increase their credibility with the Mac community.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2003, 10:39 PM

if there is one rumor site i have to trust is...think secret. They right on the tabbed browsing on safari.

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Think Secret rarely has any hard evidence at all. I can assure you that they don't have a voice recording of that call on January 8th. They say they have "inside information," but most of their so-called "evidence" is mere speculation that anyone who knows how the industry works could come up with. These are the kind of articles that could get them in trouble for slander and libel.

There's nothing to be proven by that article. We already know that orders will ship in March or April. They're only taking advantage of frustrated consumers to increase their credibility with the Mac community.

morlium  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2003, 11:05 PM

I believe Think Secret to be one of the more reliable rumor sites.

However, information like this would have been more trustworthy three weeks ago, rather than after it's already become common knowledge.

Whatever. When it ships, it ships. At least I can play with Safari's tabbed browsing in the meantime ...
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 12:36 AM

I used to enjoy ThinkSecret, until they insisted that there were no new products coming in January. They even had the nerve to demand "we've always been right before, trust us nothing is coming" - yet the biggest announcements in a very long time arrived in January.

If they were wrong that's one thing, but to stuff their "we know all" attitude in the face of us all when they were outright 100% completely wrong caused me to never visit them again.

As far as I'm concerned their 17" story is a load of crap.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 01:07 AM

We'll find out soon enough. If the story is BS, Apple will be all over them with lawyers in a flash.

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
I used to enjoy ThinkSecret, until they insisted that there were no new products coming in January. They even had the nerve to demand "we've always been right before, trust us nothing is coming" - yet the biggest announcements in a very long time arrived in January.

If they were wrong that's one thing, but to stuff their "we know all" attitude in the face of us all when they were outright 100% completely wrong caused me to never visit them again.

As far as I'm concerned their 17" story is a load of crap.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2003, 01:37 AM

I am more likely to believe Think Secret than Mac lackeys.

Le Mag

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2003, 02:40 AM

I find your comment flippant and highly offensive. If that's your attitude, I imagine none of us Mac "lackeys" would appreciate you coming back here ever again. The people with real information don't make their money off running sites exclusively dedicated to Mac rumors. Why? If the sites actually had real information, Apple's legal department would be all over them. I don't recall Think Secret ever receiving a "cease and desist" demand from Apple.

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2003, 09:45 AM

Wow. Such nerd hostility.

Scary.

I find your comment flippant and highly offensive. If that's your attitude, I imagine none of us Mac "lackeys" would appreciate you coming back here ever again. The people with real information don't make their money off running sites exclusively dedicated to Mac rumors. Why? If the sites actually had real information, Apple's legal department would be all over them. I don't recall Think Secret ever receiving a "cease and desist" demand from Apple.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by tgrundke:
Wow. Such nerd hostility.

Scary.
No, he just owes us a little more human courtesy.

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2003, 02:41 AM

Where`s the :upyours: smilie when you need it?

Le Mag

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2003, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by El Magnificante:

Where`s the :upyours: smilie when you need it?

Le Mag
A witty response doesn't change the fact that you're intrinsically wrong.

todrain
Senior User
Mar 2, 2003, 02:21 PM

Think Secret is just trying to get traffic to their website.

Apple would NEVER tell their dealers such a thing. Apple is legendary for keeping their resellers in the dark on new products. (even on allocated existing products. The last thing they would do would be to air their dirty laundry to their partners.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2003, 02:45 PM

Don't you think Apple would have had their lawyers demand the article be removed by now, if it were not true?

I guess it's possible Apple lawyers have already contacted them without us knowing it, but I doubt Think Secret would fight them unless they were confident they had reliable sources.

MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2003, 02:49 PM

http://www.thinksecret.com/legal/tos.html

Read the last paragraph in capital letters.

mikeylebeau
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2003, 02:49 PM

A witty response doesn't change the fact that you're intrinsically wrong.
Give him a break, he's French. He's an ******* by design. Every country from here to Timbuktu knows that.

-mikey
15" TiBook RIP :(
12" AlBook (867MHz/60GB/640MB RAM/SuperDrive/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 20 Feb 2003
30" ACD, G5 (Dual 2.5GHz/500GB/4GB RAM/6800 Ultra DDL/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 15 Dec 2004

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2003, 04:38 PM

Well watch this...

I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF MY ACTIONS, ALL APPLICABLE STATE AND/OR FEDERAL LAW DOES NOT APPLY TO ME.

Now I go shoot somebody. I guess I'm in the clear, eh?

http://www.thinksecret.com/legal/tos.html

Read the last paragraph in capital letters.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Well watch this...

I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF MY ACTIONS, ALL APPLICABLE STATE AND/OR FEDERAL LAW DOES NOT APPLY TO ME.

Now I go shoot somebody. I guess I'm in the clear, eh?
Perhaps I should try that.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2003, 10:37 PM

Perhaps I should try that.
Is that a threat?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2003, 11:53 PM

Is that a threat?
What would it be a threat to?

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2003, 12:41 AM

What would it be a threat to?
Request permission to treat the witness as hostile your Honor.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2003, 12:42 AM

Request permission to treat the witness as hostile your Honor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules