Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Who has a Apple Studio 17" LCD

Who has a Apple Studio 17" LCD
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2003, 05:53 PM

Are you happy with it ? What is your experience ? Would you recommend it ? Not disapointed ? tell me ! I want to buy one !
S k y p a t

bighill
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2003, 07:03 PM

Get it, you won't be sorry.

It's cheaper now then what I paid for it.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2003, 08:49 PM

i got it last week, it looks great.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2003, 10:33 PM

Get the Formac Gallery 1740 OX... its .4" larger, better brightness, better contrast ratio, faster pixel response rate, etc. and for the same price ($699).

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2003, 09:10 AM

I know Apple hasn't change the 17" ... but did they change the little Apple on the front ? Is it still plastic or is it metal as on the 20" or the 23" ? Just a question ... I don't really mind ...

Thanks
S k y p a t

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2003, 09:31 AM

i am sorry to say that formac gallery is so ugly. They try to imitate apple's display but it just looks crap!

maybe it is just my opinion! I think Apple's display is a work of art. I was shopping 17" LCD displays for my company yesterday, since they have a low budget, i was looking for some cheap displays from other PC manufacturers, and for 400-500, they sure look ugly! I rather pay my company an extra 200-300 for an apple display!

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Get the Formac Gallery 1740 OX... its .4" larger, better brightness, better contrast ratio, faster pixel response rate, etc. and for the same price ($699).

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2003, 03:01 PM

And about the little Apple ?
Is it still plastic or metal ?
S k y p a t

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2003, 06:29 PM

Clear plastic with a grey background of indeterminate composition (most likely plastic I'd guess).

It's a great monitor; I've really enjoyed mine. The ADC interface is very convenient.

Originally posted by Skypat:
And about the little Apple ?
Is it still plastic or metal ?

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2003, 12:33 AM

Just got mine tonight. 20% off, $559.20 + tax. Love it.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2003, 04:53 AM

I'll buy it next Friday. I can't wait
I just want to be sure I'm buying the very latest model ... but if Apple hasn't changed the little apple logo from plastic to metal, I guess I can buy the monitor without checking that detail.

Any problem with deadpixel Sideus ? Did you try it before buying it ?

Have a nice day
S k y p a t

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2003, 05:58 AM

I read some articles on the Apple forum and yep, they did update the logo on the 17" LCD. It has now a little silver apple logo just like the new 20" or the 23" model.
S k y p a t

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2003, 08:58 AM

Does anyone know how long the LCD will last if it will be used for 10+ hours a day, 7 days a week?

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2003, 09:28 AM

I'll buy it next Friday. I can't wait
I just want to be sure I'm buying the very latest model ... but if Apple hasn't changed the little apple logo from plastic to metal, I guess I can buy the monitor without checking that detail.

Any problem with deadpixel Sideus ? Did you try it before buying it ?

Have a nice day
I work for the place I bought it from. The monitor had been a return and had some pixel problems. I sent it off for repair to Apple (probably a depot repair and not actually Apple) and the LCD panel was replaced.

It is a great monitor.

Chun Hsu
Feb 7, 2003, 10:37 PM

I bought mine in December. Works great for me. It replaced a 19" Sony Trinitron. The color and brightness are excellent. It has a fairly wide viewing angle. The ADC cable is really elegant. Nice to have just one cable to connect for the monitor.

The best part is that I haven't noticed any lag or blurring in games. Looks freaking awesome to me in MOH and RTCW.

Bottom line. It just works. A lot easier than having to choose from the wide range of ugly and bad LCD monitors in the PC world.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2003, 11:01 PM

Chun, this is true.

Apple's displays work EXCEEDINGLY well in high motion and FPS games.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 04:41 AM

uh cool I can't wait to get mine
S k y p a t

Hankster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 10:20 AM

How did you get 20% off on the Apple 17" LCD? Please, please let us on your great tip. TIA.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 10:50 AM

get one, you won't regret it. I've been using it excessively for over a year now. The quality is still brilliant and I haven't got one dead pixel since I got it, and my screen is on for 10h a day at least.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 10:57 AM

I'll second this. I've been playing MoH and JKII with my Apple LCD; no ghosting, blur, or any other strange artifacts to speak of.

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
Chun, this is true.

Apple's displays work EXCEEDINGLY well in high motion and FPS games.

Tristrami
Senior User
Feb 8, 2003, 10:58 AM

I love my 17" LCD Monitor. Got it in 2001 and it has not had a problem ever. Buy one now taht they are less expensive--you won't regret it.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 11:00 AM

One other thing about this display: don't let the brightness settings they use in the Apple Stores fool you. The one I saw in the store had its brightness cranked to 100%, and it still looked a bit on the dim side amid the bright lighting of the store. At home, I keep the brightness at maybe 40%, and it looks just great. Whites are white, blacks are black.

One other thing I'd recommend is calibrating your LCD monitor with SuperCal (should be accessible from versiontracker.com). Big improvement over the default calibration settings that come with OSX or 9.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2003, 05:42 PM

Ok thank you all for your comments. I can't wait to be next Friday
I guess it is safer to test the monitor at the shop to check if there's no dead pixel ...
S k y p a t

HeyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 08:31 PM

I was under the impression that the Studio Display was the same as the 17" iMac's display (except for the widescreen ratio). After looking at both recently, there seemed to be quite a difference favoring the ASD: smoother graphics and richer colors. What have you people noted?

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 09:33 PM

I agree. The standalone 17" monitor looks quite a bit better than the iMac monitor. From all the rave reviews, it seems that the new 20" monitor is even better!

Originally posted by HeyMac:
I was under the impression that the Studio Display was the same as the 17" iMac's display (except for the widescreen ratio). After looking at both recently, there seemed to be quite a difference favoring the ASD: smoother graphics and richer colors. What have you people noted?

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2003, 03:18 PM

I did it : I've bought the Apple Studio this afternoon and I am so happy The 17" is so cool and so bright ! It is a great feeling to have a so cool product for such a sweet price

Thank you all for your comments, advice and encouragements !!
S k y p a t

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2003, 12:39 PM

Take the time to calibrate it with SuperCal. It will look even better!

I did it : I've bought the Apple Studio this afternoon and I am so happy The 17" is so cool and so bright ! It is a great feeling to have a so cool product for such a sweet price

Thank you all for your comments, advice and encouragements !!

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2003, 06:08 PM

i bought one a year ago, and i have been so pleased with it that i just bought another:

hondo
Feb 15, 2003, 11:14 PM

I've had one since January 2002 and not had a single issue with it. It looks great, both the display and picture. I have been so happy that I now want the 20" display. I've been trying to talk a friend of mine into buying mine so I can have the other....I have the fever again, upgraditus...

loh
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 03:22 PM

I am thinking about buying one this coming weekend. I currently have a 19" NEC FE950 Flat CRT. I have had this monitor for about 3yrs, and the picture quality is outstanding, but I really want a LCD now. My CRT just takes up a lot of space on my desk, it doesnt have the ergonomical shape of the newer CRT's, plus it looks ugly next to my MDD G4. I wouldnt actually be gaining any screen space as res would be the same (1280*1024). Did any of you users have a similar experience switching to an LCD? What do you recommend?

Chun Hsu
Feb 25, 2003, 12:30 AM

I switched from a 19" Sony Trinitron to the Apple Studio 17" in December. With the price drop, I think the Apple Studio is fairly reasonable now.

I have a lot of desk space now. Really made my environment seem more open. Yes, it does look much better as well. Plus, I really love the ADC connector. Really elegant to just one have cable for power, video, and USB. It's surprising because the ADC cable is smaller and more flexible than my old analog connector.

The plus of having LCD is that you no longer have to calibrate the dimensions, pincushion, and all that jazz. My CRT was always slightly crooked on the sides. The only drawback is that you are stuck with it's native resolution of 1280x1024. Anything else looks bad. Keep that in mind if you play games where you may want lower resolution for more speed. BTW, I don't notice any ghosting when I play RTCW or MOH.

I am very happy with my decision.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 08:11 AM

I'll sell you mine!!
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

loh
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 08:37 PM

Optimus, you have a PM.
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2003, 10:50 PM

I've had one since about a month after they came out. I love it. It's the best monitor I ever owned. (I paid $1100 for it with tax and all.) I don't feel that I overpaid. (Especially since I've had it for a few years now.)

I wish it worked on my PC as well. :-)

JB72
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 11:14 PM

I've got a 17 inch Apple bad-boy and I'm very happy with it. It's lonely all by itself though so we're hoping to bring home another 17 or a 20 to keep him company.

todrain
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by driven:
I've had one since about a month after they came out. I love it. It's the best monitor I ever owned. (I paid $1100 for it with tax and all.) I don't feel that I overpaid. (Especially since I've had it for a few years now.)

I wish it worked on my PC as well. :-)
If you use the Apple ADC-DVI connector, it should work!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by todrain:
If you use the Apple ADC-DVI connector, it should work!
I need to get a DVI card on my PC and then the $149 adapter of course. :-)

It *IS* tempting.

loh
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2003, 01:17 AM

Cool, Ill be picking up a Studio Display on friday. I went to the apple store in newport beach today, and checked them out...man they look really nice. Now I gotta find a way to get rid of my CRT

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 01:22 AM

I need to get a DVI card on my PC and then the $149 adapter of course. :-)

It *IS* tempting.
The adapter has been dropped to $99.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2003, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
The adapter has been dropped to $99.
It is a good day!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2003, 05:34 AM

It is a good day!
Ugh! not for me I got a studio display when I had my old G4 without a ADC plug so I neaded the adapter. I have just got a closeout deal on a Quicksilver, with ADC so the (expensive) adapter is just siting in the draw. At $99 for a new one there isn't really mutch point hawking mine on ebay.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Ugh! not for me I got a studio display when I had my old G4 without a ADC plug so I neaded the adapter. I have just got a closeout deal on a Quicksilver, with ADC so the (expensive) adapter is just siting in the draw. At $99 for a new one there isn't really mutch point hawking mine on ebay.
solution: ebay the current qs video card (my gf4mx netted me $120 (!) ), buy a radeon 9000 for $160, and then save up to buy another adc display. that way you'll use the dvi-adc adaptor and thus won't waste money.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 06:02 PM

Well well well ... after a few days/weeks of use of my new Studio Display I contacted Apple support to explain a problem I have. I noticed a ghosting effect after I close a page. For example If I type some words on a Word document I can still read them after my .doc is closed. The text is blured but visible on dark backrounds for about 1-2 minutes.

I called Apple, we did some tests and they declared my monitor DOA (dead on arrival). So they will send someone to check the monitor a last time and to change it with a new one

I am a little disappointed even if Apple support is excellent in my case.
S k y p a t

loh
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2003, 01:05 AM

I just bought a new 17" studio display. I went to two local apple stores, but none of them had the "new" displays with the metal logos, so I just settled on the graphite. Looks good so far, but the color looks a little off. Time to calibrate. Oh and no dead pixels!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 08:39 PM

I ordered the display from AppleStore and they ship it on the same day with free shipping.. received it in 2 days. It works beautifully with the G4 tower. I finally get out of the 1024 x 768 res. world.

No dead pixel, played with SuperCal but haven't created a profile yet.

I hook up the pro keyboard and printer on the back of the display. ADC works fine for me. Games/DVD playback work okay here.

[edit]: By looking at the spec, they did update the panel.. but the outter case is still printed "� 2001 Apple Computer, Inc."

loh
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2003, 11:29 PM

I hooked up my old CRT and my new Studio display side by side for a comparison. Now I can see where my problem with colors were. My old monitor had a really blue tint to all the whites, and the colors were much more drab. The studio display has a much brighter and crisper picture, and more vibrant colors. I really love it now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules