Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Beige G3 hell month

Beige G3 hell month
kmanley1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2002, 08:25 AM

Sorry for the long post, but I run a nonprofit with my Mac and we've been down one month!

Whenever I try to quit or restart my finder crashes and a freeze that forces a hard shut-down & restart (can't force quit) happens .

First, I zapped pram; rebuit desktop; trashed finder, Mac OS, & System prefs. The latest versions of TechTool, Diskwarrior, Conflict Catcher &DFA turn up nothing.
Then, I zeroed out the hard drive twice and reinstalled the OS & apps to no avail. Last week CompUsa tested the ram, replaced the motherboard and video card (under warranty).

SInce I got it back I reinstalled OS 9.1 & 9.21 from disks then 9.2.2 from Software Update. The the finder crashes began again before I got 10% of my apps reloaded!

I ran under OS 9.2.2 for about four months and it was rock solid, I've havn't added new apps or updated drivers.

Beige G3 266
320 mg ram
Maxtor 40 gig hard drive
ADS firewire card
Belkin USB card
stock mouse and keyboard
OS 9.2.2
DP 867, 768 meg ram, OS 10.2.3

<anonymous>
Apr 17, 2002, 10:46 AM

What happens if you downgrade to 9.2.1?

kmanley1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2002, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by &lt;anonymous&gt;:
<STRONG>What happens if you downgrade to 9.2.1?</STRONG>
I plan to wipe that partition and try 9.1 for a for a while, then move to 9.2.1. Is it posible to unintsall 9.2.2?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2002, 02:16 PM

Now where's cipher, he hasn't said how OS 9 is so much better on this, yet!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

kmanley1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2002, 09:30 PM

I pulled all of my PCI cards and found that a Keyspan Firewire card and/or Sony CRX1750L CDRW are to blame for the finder crashes. I had no problem wih just the card as soon as i plugged in the CDRW I got a bomb message "Finder Quit." I may try replacing the card first since it will cost that much to use my relacement warranty at CompUsa.

Can anyone recommend a good PCI Firewire card?

kmanley1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2002, 09:33 PM

I pulled all of my PCI cards and found that a Keyspan Firewire card and/or Sony CRX1750L CDRW are to blame for the finder crashes. I had no problem wih just the card as soon as i plugged in the CDRW I got a bomb message "Finder Quit." I may try replacing the card first since it will cost that much to use my relacement warranty at CompUsa.

Can anyone recommend a good PCI Firewire card?

Forum Links
Forum Rules