Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Recovering Old Multiple Users Passwd

Recovering Old Multiple Users Passwd
mactropolis
Senior User
Apr 22, 2002, 03:35 AM

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to somehow find out a users password in OS 9? You see, I recently got an external Firewire enclosure solely to retrieve the data from my old 6500's hard dive. On this HDD, I had OS 9.04 -- however, I had Multiple Users on.

Obviously it's been years since I last used it, and now I've completely fogotten the password that I set years earlier. Please tell me their is some way to find out the password. Any file to look into or hack? Where is it stored?

Yes, I know I can access the data itself from the drive. But it's an even greater feeling of nostalgia being able to sucessfully boot up from it and log in and notice my icon layout, desktop picture -- just like I did years earlier. For this and other reasons is why I need to find out the password to badly.

Please advise.
Death To Extremists!

Cipher13
Apr 23, 2002, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Boot from an OS9 CD and remove the "Multiple Users Preferences" file or whatever it's called.

You don't even have to remove the "Multiple Users Items" folder or whatever.

It'll boot you into the 'default' account, I think; it's been a LONG time since I worked with OS9 MU.

From there, you MIGHT even be able to recreate the users, with whatever passwords. Back up the Multiple Users Items folder, or whatever it's called, in the Preferences folder, then recreate the users, then put the items folder back. Make sure the users names correspond to the old one(s).

And... plenty of us do still check the Classic Mac OS forum.</STRONG>
Quote from here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules