Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > *Please Help* Hardrive formatting

*Please Help* Hardrive formatting
Too Much Coffee Woman
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 05:49 PM

i need to format a person's 2002 quicksilver 733 on friday

i want to get rid of all her files and re-install everything. i think i'm just going to use Apple's disk utility

and i'm going to partition it too. can i do that with disk utility?

the purpose of the format is just to clean out the computer, so i think "high-level" formatting is good.

can anybody just guide me through this and gimme a little advice?

thanks in advance

-jan

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 06:28 PM

If you're installing OSX from an Install CD, it will pretty much walk you through the the whole process and give you an opportunity to reformat/partition your disk. If you don't want to wait for the installer to give you option, you can check the apple menu after you boot from the install cd, and you will find the disk utility there.

If you are installing from an OS9/Classic cd, you should boot form the disk, go to the Utilites folder in the Applications folder, and run disk Utility. Somewhere in there you can setup how many partitions you want, whether you want to do a low level format, yadayadawoowoowoo.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Too Much Coffee Woman  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2002, 11:55 AM

so what i'm gonna do is:

boot up from a os9 cd and run disk utility to run a high level format

then i will boot up again and install 9.2 on a partition

and then i will boot up again and install osx on a partition.

am i correct?

(just a stupid question from a stupid girl...after i format, the machine is still using the cd as the OS right? ,,,i'm just a tiny bit scared...it's my office's computer)

thanks in advance!!!!

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2002, 04:24 PM

Insert OS9 CD. Boot up by holding the C key. Create two partitions using disk utility. Install OS9. Reboot. Eject OS9 CD. Insert OSX CD. Reboot by holding the C key. Install OSX on open partition.

During the install of each OS, check the option to format the hard drive.

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Too Much Coffee Woman:
<STRONG>
(just a stupid question from a stupid girl...after i format, the machine is still using the cd as the OS right? ,,,i'm just a tiny bit scared...it's my office's computer)</STRONG>
after you format, the machine will still be running from your cd, unless you want it to do otherwise...

so, you can partition the drive and do a low level format for each partiton when you install the OS's (like pdjr suggested), or you can format and then partition all at once, and then do your installs.

just curious... is there any significant benefit to your method, pdjr? seems like it may take a little longer, but if it has advantages I'll try your method when I get extra storage...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Too Much Coffee Woman  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2002, 02:25 PM

thanks...it was so much easier than i though.

question though...i installed os9 into a partition, if i just copy the entire system folder of one partition into another...will the copy of the 0S9 work as the old one formerly did?

in other words...can i transefer system folders around partitions and expect it to work?

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2002, 07:41 AM

Yes, you can (I've only done it with OS 8 - 9, though).

Before I got a CDRW and internet access, copying System Folders from one partition to another is how I safeguarded my extensions. It was a real pain in the *** to search through my CD's for the latest versions of Quicktime and Game Sprockets after a software installation downgraded them. I consider it a 'fast altenative' to a clean install. Plus, you don't have to waste time resetting all of your Finder and application prefrences.

I never ran into any problems doing this. If someone knows of a 'downside' to this, please post it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules