Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > can you install both 9.0 and 8.1?

can you install both 9.0 and 8.1?
harry_b
Dec 14, 2000, 03:59 AM

Is it possible to install both os's on a mac and upon startup select the one you want to use? I know you can partition the drive and select the drive. Can the computer be set to select the OS 9 extensions or 8.1 on the start up extensions window? How would I set it so the extension selection window comes up automatically on start up?

------------------
"It ain't easy being
green," -Kermit the Frog

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2000, 09:12 AM

9.1 does that better. New Macs that can use the Option key to select on startup. Conflict Catcher 8 somewhat. Due to differences in the two - be careful. Partition is better than not. Separate drives - but 8.1 may mess up 9.1 or not see it.

darkstranger
Dec 15, 2000, 10:30 PM

8.1-8.6 are both compatible versions of the mac OS that can be installed alongside 9.04.
I don't use 8.1 but I do have 8.6 and 9.04 as well as OSX running on my Beige G3.
Partitioning is recommended with a seperate (bootable) volume for each OS.
If you only have one hard drive there are a lot of advantages to setting up 2 system folders.
Saves wear and tear on your System/Repair Utility CDs................

------------------
The only constant is change

snippet-pacoman
Dec 28, 2000, 08:21 AM

Hi,

It is possible to do what you want. There is a small utility that comes with MkLinux and others called xBoot. It may be possible with a little tweeking (or alot) to modify it to switch between 9 and 8.

Matthew, www.totallymac.8m.com, for everything Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules