Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Files sliced - PLEASE HELP!

Files sliced - PLEASE HELP!
DanInAZ
Dec 25, 2000, 01:27 PM

I am in SERIOUS need of help. I have a 40 GB hard drive that was acting strange. I had a file on it that would refuse to copy to another disk, refuse to delete and refuse to copy, all due to a type -127 error. I couldn't burn any CDs either, so I figured I needed to repair the disk using Norton Utilities. During the repair process, the computer locked up and I was forced to restart. Everything seemed normal EXCEPT for the fact that many of my files were extremely altered (reduced in size like they'd been cut off), and I had TONS of free space. I had a 400 mb file that was chopped down to 100 mb, and many files were chopped down to 400k or 500k when their correct size is 2-5 mb. Some files were completely untouched, but my most important files were. At the time I ran Norton, I had about 500 mb of disk space free, and now I have 12.5 gigs free... so I lost about 12 gigs of very important data, and I'm hoping there is something I can do to restore the files to the way they're supposed to be. PLEASE, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan / [email protected]

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2000, 05:28 PM

Try Alsoft's DiskWarrior... it's succeeded for me where Norton has failed, and this seems like a perfect case for it (obviously directories are scrambled).
www.alsoft.com

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2000, 05:24 AM

Definitely try DiskWarrior first...I'd run techTool Pro on it afterwards... I've been a norton fan for a while, but they've been dissappointing in the past year or so...last thing I'd try is dump some files into ResEdit. Yes, the old Apple program...I find it useful sometimes at fixing my corrupt files...as hard as it is to believe that a 1993 utility can still be useful...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Gregg
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2000, 11:09 AM

Dan, did you recover it?

Not a Merry Christmas, eh?
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

DanInAZ
Dec 28, 2000, 12:11 AM

I haven't recovered it yet, I'm still attempting to backup the files that didn't get cut. I want to do this before running any additional disk utilities because I'm afraid they might just do more damage. It's taking a while to back up 28 GB...

Forum Links
Forum Rules