Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Question about the soon to be replaced 20" iMac

Question about the soon to be replaced 20" iMac
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2007, 10:00 AM

A friend of mine decided that he likes the current 20" 2.16GHz iMac so much he is ordering one today even though a new redesigned iMac with better specs is most likely coming next week. The only component he is upgrading is the video card which delays the shipping date from within 24 hours to 3-5 business days. My question is, what are the chances he will actually receive it? When new models are just days away does Apple actually ship the very soon to be old model or are you upgraded to the new model?
He also wants to put 3GB of ram into it, where is the best place for him to buy ram (2GB dimm and 1GB dimm)? I checked Crucial but they don't have 2GB dimms for the ram.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2007, 10:09 AM

Tell him to wait, because if he doesnt like the newer version, he can get it much cheaper off other websites which still have them in stock! He needs to be patient for a little while and save himself some $$$

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
Tell him to wait, because if he doesnt like the newer version, he can get it much cheaper off other websites which still have them in stock! He needs to be patient for a little while and save himself some $$$
Yes I told him all this but he is buying it today anyway because the only way he can get the upgraded graphic card is to buy it from the online Apple Store. I told him to wait but ultimately it's his decision. It all doesn't make any sense to me.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2007, 11:33 AM

He will regret making that decision! The new iMac might have a better graphics card anyway, and he'll be able to upgrade it easy!

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2007, 12:00 PM

Instant gratification often leads to buyer's remorse.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 12:05 PM

I think that with the graphics card upgrade he will most likely receive it after the new iMacs come out.

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2007, 12:35 PM

Well of course I agree with all of you. When I told him new iMacs were being released next Tuesday and that they will have Santa Rosa processors and even a better video card than the current upgrade card he didn't care. He likes the way the current iMac looks. Also he lives in Georgia and he said if he buys a computer this week it's tax free.
Go figure, I've never heard of anyone buying a computer knowing a new version is coming out just a few days later unless they absolutely needed it for a projects which is not the case. Even with the tax savings I don't think it's worth it considering the new components and probable better look the new version will have.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Aug 2, 2007, 02:04 PM

If your friend likes the current model, I am selling my 24 inch iMac. Go check out my post in the for sale area for all the details. Includes wireless mouse and keyboard, extended warrenty, upgraded graphics and memory too.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Forum Links
Forum Rules