Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > AppleCare 50% Off at CompUSA

AppleCare 50% Off at CompUSA
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2008, 08:33 PM

Those of you who have a CompUSA store close by that is still open and under liquidation might be interested in this, they are selling AppleCare for 50% off. I just picked up AppleCare for my aluminum iMac for $85. The two CompUSA stores near me had plenty of AppleCare left for just about all Apple hardware including displays

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 09:24 PM

No need to double post.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 06:32 AM

it is $310 in my country !!!

acX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2008, 07:58 PM

I picked up applecare for my macbook at CompUSA in Columbia, MD this evening for $125.
There were about 10-15 misc applecare packages left. They also had all apple software at 30% off.
They had .mac family packs, Final cut studio, final cut express, leopard and leopard family packs etc..

I thought about buying more applecare packages to resell on ebay, but I'm glad I did not. They did some sort of registration with apple when you buy it. It must be some sort of agreement with apple to make sure they dont end up on ebay.

ac

flame12
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2008, 09:08 PM

Would someone be able to pick me up a box and I could paypal you the money? All of the CompUSA's by me are already out of business

thanks!

- sarah
Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.

acX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by flame12 View Post
Would someone be able to pick me up a box and I could paypal you the money? All of the CompUSA's by me are already out of business

thanks!

- sarah
I don't think that will work. They asked to see my license, and they typed in my name, phone number and address right there when I bought it. Unless they are just "bluffing", I don't think anyone but the person who purchased the applecare can register it. I registered mine when I came home, but I have no way of knowing if they have that link.

Otherwise, I would have bought a couple of extra ones..

UncleDannie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2008, 09:28 PM

I have a store close by, but the picking are slim. I noticed that there were quite a few Applecare boxes, but mostly for Nano, iPods, Displays. I needed one for my iPhone. My eMac is too far out of date for one, but there were a couple of Powerbooks still available. .Mac single and family packs were still available, but at 30% off, I'll wait a couple more weeks to see if they ever drop to 40% or 50%. Some of the items may be found up on their wensite, CompUSA.com.

Uncle Dannie
( Last edited by UncleDannie; Feb 5, 2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Mis-spellings)
Uncle Dannie of Texas
eMac 1.25Ghz Memory: 2GB; Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-R/W OS: 10.4
MacBook 1.87Ghz Memory: 2GB, HD: 80 GB, OS: 10.6

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by acX View Post
I don't think that will work. They asked to see my license, and they typed in my name, phone number and address right there when I bought it. Unless they are just "bluffing", I don't think anyone but the person who purchased the applecare can register it. I registered mine when I came home, but I have no way of knowing if they have that link.

Otherwise, I would have bought a couple of extra ones..
That's not for AppleCare, that's for CompUSA.

acX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That's not for AppleCare, that's for CompUSA.
They claimed it was for Apple. When I went to the register, they had to get a manager to tell them what to do. He said it had to be registered with apple when I bought it. CompUSA used to have a relationship with Apple, but who knows..

If there is no connection, then there's some profit to be made on ebay. ( or help some people out ) but I'm not going to take that chance with my money

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by acX View Post
They claimed it was for Apple. When I went to the register, they had to get a manager to tell them what to do. He said it had to be registered with apple when I bought it. CompUSA used to have a relationship with Apple, but who knows..

If there is no connection, then there's some profit to be made on ebay. ( or help some people out ) but I'm not going to take that chance with my money
No, it's no connection. The registration part comes when you open the box and go to Apple's website to type in the number inside the box. Other than that, Apple has no idea who has what box until it is registered (and unless CompUSA opened your box for you and went to Apple's website with you and got all of your personal info, then they did not register you).

But it's weird that they would be still collecting information for their stores, seeing as they're going out of business.

flame12
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2008, 09:42 PM

Thanks so much for mentioning this. I was able to have a friend pick this up for me at the Rochester, NY CompUSA. My sister was quite happy seeing she's in college and is always looking for a bargain!
Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Senor360
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2008, 07:16 AM

There seems to be only one store left in my immediate area, Plano tx, so I'll have to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Senor360
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2008, 10:40 AM

I was able to pick one up at the Plano store last night. There weren't any on the shelf when I got there. Was rather bummed. So I asked a salesperson and they went looking for one.. Yay!!

UncleDannie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2008, 08:43 PM

An update on the CompUSA stores. They all are supposed to be closed by March 11. My local store in Bakersfield is getting left-over inventory from other stores to sell in Bakersfield. The manager stated that they expect to stay open a while longer if other stores send them excess inventory as they close down. Every week is new and different stuff. I bought a Vizio 37 LCD HDTV that doubles as a Computer Monitor for $650. I got the wall mount for $30.00 bucks. While their intial prices are a little high, the discounted prices make them more resonable. I bought MAC OS 10.5 for under $90.00, so there are a few good prices left.

Oops, forgot. 16 stores are being retained and will be reopened under a new name. The 16 stores are not indentified yet.
( Last edited by UncleDannie; Feb 11, 2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: New info)
Uncle Dannie of Texas
eMac 1.25Ghz Memory: 2GB; Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-R/W OS: 10.4
MacBook 1.87Ghz Memory: 2GB, HD: 80 GB, OS: 10.6

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 11, 2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
Oops, forgot. 16 stores are being retained and will be reopened under a new name. The 16 stores are not indentified yet.
It seems that "SystemMax", an arm of Tiger Direct, is trying to go brick-and-mortar, and is buying "some of" CompUSA's stores. This may or may not be the same 16 stores... If it's a different set, this is going to get really interesting.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules