Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB Pismo: Won't power on, but caps/scroll lock light up.

PB Pismo: Won't power on, but caps/scroll lock light up.
M4LFUNCT10N
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2006, 03:05 AM

I was working on a clients computer yesterday when I noticed a laptop I hadn't seen before. He said his mom gave it to him, she said it worked, but he couldn't get it to turn on. He told me I could have it.

So... at first, nothing. No power, battery wouldn't charge, etc. I bent the shield around the laptop side of the charger and tested the pins, positive on the middle contact, negative on the contact closest to the cable itself and got ~21v. So next I dove into the laptop. Ripped the whole thing apart, everything *appeared* good. AC/Power board looked fine, so I put everything back together. Now the battery is charging and when I press the power button, while nothing happens, if I press the caps lock, the key lights up, or if I press the scroll lock, the little light next to it lights up.

Nothing else though shows an indication of it working. I've also unplugged the backup battery underneath the keyboard, I've pushed the power manager reset button, tried different combinations of pressing the button (no battery; battery; no power; etc etc etc!!!). Being a PC guy I'd know what to attack, but I'm sorta stuck here! It appears the sound/AC board is working, but I don't know the next thing to test. I connected the MB to a CRT I had sitting around, but that didn't light up, and I honestly don't know if I have to use a 2 button key combo in order to output to the CRT in the first place!

Please help! I'd rather not send it off somewhere. I'd like to figure out what parts I need on my own so I'm not paying tons of money to fix an old notebook.

M4LFUNCT10N  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2006, 04:44 AM

Ah, this can be deleted now. I ripped it apart again, swapped the ram to the other slot, put the processor board back in place, this time I pressed MUCH harder and felt a better "seat". Powered on just like it should! Woo hoo for free laptops!

tigas
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2006, 11:36 PM

A Pismo for free! :o Count your blessings, young Padawan!
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2006, 12:27 AM

There really is a Santa Clause after all! Ho-Ho-HO-HO. Push that processor board again before resetting the PRAM. Don't forget to hummmm your favourite Christmas carol while doing those acts. Absolutely no RApping. can somebody tell me is there really an Easter Bunny too?? May be your Pismo will already have osX. Nahhh. Get one off ebay or PM me.
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

M4LFUNCT10N  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 06:21 PM

It's karma for all the over the phone (free) consulting tips I gave this client.

It definitely looks sleeker than my 3 year old Toshiba Satellite, but it's a bit slower.
Satellite 1415-S174: 1.8Ghz Celeron, 512MB DDR, 16MB GeForce4, 40GB HD, Internal wifi A/B/G.

Kinda nice to have a Mac though. I've been getting a bit bored with my XP/Ubuntu dual boot.
2.4GHz Macbook Pro running Leopard

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 06:43 PM

"A good deed never goes unrewarded"!

I helped a student get his software saved when hard drive was failing and when he got a new MacBook he gave me the 12" PB!

Forum Links
Forum Rules