Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > help cant install OS 9 after OS X

help cant install OS 9 after OS X
EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2002, 04:14 PM

[ok I tried to post this already but IE keeps locking up since reinstall, grrr gotta retype it all again]

basically after reformating my hd from 3 partitions to just 2 to get rid of OS 9 forever, I found I NEED to reinstall OS 9 [grrr] in order to reinstall some Classic dependant software? but I didnt plan on ever needing OS 9 again so when I reinstalled from scratch OS X, when initialising/formatting/partitioning my HD I chose the option NOT to install Mac OS 9 drivers.

now when booting off the OS 9 CD to install it no partitions whatsoever show up. basically I can't install OS 9. please how do I OS 9 drivers onto my partitions so that they can be recognized?

crazy huh? needing OS 9 still just to install X software [font utility for example]
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 06:33 PM

are your partitions formatted as HFS+ volumes? or something different?
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

MM-o4
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 11:24 PM

This is a time consuming option but instal X agian on the partion you wan to instal 9 on. When you do make sure you have the right drivers and that the format is HFS+ (unix formatting will not show up in 9). retart in X off that partion then instal 9 off the CD after that delete that copy of X.
Thats a long way around but will work

MM-o4

Cipher13
Apr 25, 2002, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by EddieDesignsDotCom:
<STRONG>[ok I tried to post this already but IE keeps locking up since reinstall, grrr gotta retype it all again]

basically after reformating my hd from 3 partitions to just 2 to get rid of OS 9 forever, I found I NEED to reinstall OS 9 [grrr] in order to reinstall some Classic dependant software? but I didnt plan on ever needing OS 9 again so when I reinstalled from scratch OS X, when initialising/formatting/partitioning my HD I chose the option NOT to install Mac OS 9 drivers.

now when booting off the OS 9 CD to install it no partitions whatsoever show up. basically I can't install OS 9. please how do I OS 9 drivers onto my partitions so that they can be recognized?

crazy huh? needing OS 9 still just to install X software [font utility for example] </STRONG>
Was it me that said in that thread that deleting OS9 completely was absolutely stupid? Yeah, I think it was...

I'm a bastard.

Sorry dude, install OSX again.

EddieDesignsDotCom  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2002, 01:08 PM

what thread was that?

i will NOT reinstall OS X (after reformmating my HD AGAIN!) because it's taken me a week almost to get everything back to normal (almost) and I totally burnt about 20 CDs just to back up my HD so I could reinstall OS X and have 2 partitions for the life of this computer. I will live with just X if I have to. I can't (won't) go through that AGAIN. I gotta finally get some work done. If I can't install OS 9 because I was dumb enough not to install OS 9 drivers on my partitions then I have learnt my lesson BUT...

am I really dumb for just installing OS X?

y? lol no it cant be, why would i want OS 9? cant we move forward? isnt that the future of Macintosh to run OS X. why should we 'have to' STILL use OS 9?

there must be another way to install OS 9 drivers on my partitions WITHOUT reformatting?! please!
-------------
Yeah Right!?

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2002, 01:15 PM

I guess this is why that skinny little "manual" that comes with the OS X installer CD says you should install OS 9 before OS X if they're going on the same partition.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

EddieDesignsDotCom  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2002, 03:40 PM

nah that cant be right, because before I installed OS X before. being that I wanted to be sure that OS X was in the 1st 8 gig on my hd. I just need to install the OS 9 drivers to my partitions, simple, yeah thats it, everything's gonna be OK, it's gonna be fine, I know it is.
-------------
Yeah Right!?

Forum Links
Forum Rules