Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do i input chinese on OS 8.6?

How do i input chinese on OS 8.6?
milocat
Dec 22, 2000, 12:18 AM

I am running Mac OS 8.6 and when i installed 8.6, i checked the options for including simplefied and traditional chinese in the install. Now, i can read chinese within the browser just fine, and the options for chinese shows up on my keyboard layout options. However, i still don;t know how to input any chinese into my mac. Can anyone help? Do i have to purchase that very expensive Chinese Language Kit by Apple? Is there another option?

Thanks very much

Nauscicaa
Dec 22, 2000, 12:06 PM

You have to either buy the language kit OR upgrade to OS 9. In OS 9 the language kits are incorporated, including Chinese, Korean and Japanese

Naus

Sacre Moo
Dec 22, 2000, 01:34 PM

1) The language kits are not dictionaries, so unless one is fluent or native in the language, one should have a dictionary standing by.

2) Inputting Chinese has 5 major techniques. So, one MUST MUST be fluent in the romanization systems of traditional and simplified Chinese.

3) I support spending the money to get OS 9 as the Chinese Language Kit for OS 9 is clearly superior to previous versions.

RStupidity
Dec 22, 2000, 03:11 PM

Does Mac OS 9 come with CKL version 2?

vicosu
Dec 22, 2000, 05:12 PM

I think the language kits in OS 9 is the newest version.
But the chinese language kit for traditional chinese doesn't come with "Hanin" input method anymore,

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2000, 08:58 PM

Hi,

I did install the Chinese/Japanese/Korean Lang. Kits which came with the MacOS 9, I previously owned the CLK 1.x version, then Apple sent me the CLK 2.0 via the ADC software CD. As usual, typing those words are time consuming, so one good suggestion is to buy the WACOM Graphire(US$99) and you can use the pen to write the words directly on the pad. It is much better than find the corresponding words. Is there any software, which similar to IBM ViaVoice, recognize Chinese/Japanese/Korean lang.?

Thank you

------------------
"With technology in all corners, learning to unplug can be particularly difficult."

Dec 23, 2000, 05:13 PM

For info on the OS9 CJK language kits, especially where to find manuals, etc., see
http://hometown.aol.com/tg3907/mlingos9.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules