Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > When Apple will release OS 9.1?

When Apple will release OS 9.1?
jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2000, 11:35 AM

When Apple will release OS 9.1? Is it really better? What I have to do to install it on my machine? Should I erase all my files?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2000, 12:59 PM

It will come Jan 9 during MWSF - MacWorld San Francisco, as well as OSX - which will actually be ready in february to ship. I guess the update will be worth a few things, but I prefer to see it by myself before making suppositions.

You won't have any problems installing 9.1. The installer will behave like an updater, you'll just need to restart the machine and you'll be all set. Apple is the most kind concerning installation procedures.

Unless you want to dive into the great world of Mac OSX...

bleen
Senior User
Dec 28, 2000, 02:42 PM

Even if you want to "Dive into OS X" 9.1 is still a highly recomended upgrade. OS 9.1 was said to be the last of the "Classic" enviroment. So this should fix a lot of bugs that currently exist and increases compadablity for loading Classic in OS X.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2000, 05:01 PM

Unless or until Apple forces all new Macs ot have OS X, Classic 9.x will exist and be updated. And not all the features and functionality that were designed to go into 9.1 made it. Some was pulled or killed or scaled back due to bugs, limited time and people - and most effort focusing on OS X. I expect to see 9.5. Remember 9.1 was supose to arrive Jan 2000, 9.5 in summer 2000 and OS X in the fall.

I'm sure that G4 systems debuting later this year will have OS X as an option. Later upgrades to cpu rather than sooner. Every Mac has req'd tweaks to the OS. Always. And integration of Classic and X requires 9.1 so I can see updates to improve the Classic side coming with updates to X down the road also.

Takes twice as long, has twice the bugs, but kills all the known bugs. What isn't known is what new bugs were introduced, or, why 9.1FC hit a wasp's net at the end.

OT 3.0 didn't make it. OT got left at 2.7.3. That was the one piece I was looking forward to.

Gregory

Gregg
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2000, 09:37 AM

Don't you have to at least have OS 9.0.4 to work in the Classic environment of OSX? Rumor is that Apple will bundle OSX with OS9.x because of that. I'm still using OS8.1 these days, so I figure why not wait for the bundle?
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2000, 03:20 PM

Even if you want to "Dive into OS X" 9.1 is still a highly recomended upgrade. OS 9.1 was said to be the last of the "Classic" enviroment. So this should fix a lot of bugs that currently exist and increases compadablity for loading Classic in OS X.
Agreed. That was just a side note. Some people like myself will want to use OSX as soon as it gets out of Cupertino.

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2000, 04:18 PM

I want to use OS X instead of any other OS as soon as I am sure that all the Classic applications will run safely and using the OS X memory managment . But, if only the OS X applications can take advantage of the new memory managment, I'll stay with 9.x for a long........... while.

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2000, 08:46 PM

9.1 is only an upgrade ($20) from 9.0 but I would guess Apple will charge for both. Going from 8.1 to 9.1 owuld be full $99 and no idea what X will be - or bundle of both. But then, Microsoft charges $$$ for Windows 2000 ($250+) and even full version of Me is like $175. I originally expected to see OS X and or bundle for $149. I think 9.1 upgrade is worth $49 and OS X certainly.

but I also think it will be a bumpy ride for much of 2001.

Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules