Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther 7B74 is here

Panther 7B74 is here (Page 3)
biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
A simpler way is to activate it via System Prefs, in the Quicktime preferences. This allows Safari to load PDFs in the browser itself.
Wah....?

Not quite with you there, please elaborate.

biscuit

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by biscuit:
Wah....?

Not quite with you there, please elaborate.

biscuit
The QuickTime Plugin can display PDFs. The settings for the QT Plug In are in the System Preferences.

If enabled the QT Plug In will display PDFs in the browser. The problem with that method is, that you don't have any controls and the PDF will be displayed in a way that the whole page will fit into the browser window. Unless you have a really big display this will result in unreadable small text.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by Zadian:
The QuickTime Plugin can display PDFs. The settings for the QT Plug In are in the System Preferences.

If enabled the QT Plug In will display PDFs in the browser. The problem with that method is, that you don't have any controls and the PDF will be displayed in a way that the whole page will fit into the browser window. Unless you have a really big display this will result in unreadable small text.
Yeah, that is the downside to it, but if you want to try it out, here's what to do.

System Prefs ->Quicktime ->Plug-in ->Mime Settings: scroll down to Images, then turn on PDF, and you should be able to view PDFS in Safari.

JeremyS
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 11:16 AM

Am I the only one the experiences a slow-down with panther? Things seems doggish on my G4 350mhz on a recent build I tried, while I read that other G4 owners are having new life with their G4's and Panther.

Also when installing after the first disc is done then it reboots, it sits at the Apple screen forever, then I reset the machine and it boots up and asks for disc 2, anyone else get this?

I have over 896mb RAM so that isn't the issue, anyone experience this?

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
The Favorites function has been replaced by the sidebar in panther.

A great improvement.

you sound snug as a bug...
Thing is... the Favorites folder still exists, but no way to get there.
and what if you use other icons in the sidebar?
or dont want to use it at all?
you do not HAVE to use your Mac the way Apple dictates, you know.
In every aspect of the OS there are more ways 'that lead to Rome'.
Menu-commands or keyboard shortcuts for every possible thing.
But not for the Favorites, and you call this improvement?

well, I do not.

Also, in the Favorites folder you could place
hundreds and hundreds of shortcuts if you
would please, this is of course undoable
in the sidebar.

(to be clear, I am talking about the Favorites
folder, I am aware that you can drag god knows
what in the sidebar)
( Last edited by iFix Rene; Sep 23, 2003 at 11:41 AM. )
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by JeremyS:
Am I the only one the experiences a slow-down with panther? Things seems doggish on my G4 350mhz on a recent build I tried, while I read that other G4 owners are having new life with their G4's and Panther.

Also when installing after the first disc is done then it reboots, it sits at the Apple screen forever, then I reset the machine and it boots up and asks for disc 2, anyone else get this?

I have over 896mb RAM so that isn't the issue, anyone experience this?
I have installed every beta of Panther since 7B28 or so and not once did I experience any slow-down, in fact, just the opposite.
My pismo works like a charm with a mere 192mb RAM. I have also installed it on my iMac 500DV, 2 Cubes and two dual 867s.
What kind of install are you doing?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by iFix Rene:

well, I do not.

in the sidebar.

what in the sidebar)
Just out of curiosity. Why do you hit return after typing like 7 or 8 words? Why don't you let the thing wrap by itself? Or do you but you're using some odd browser.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 01:16 PM

Funny Bug:

I just found this ins 7b68 dunno if it is still in 7b74 maybe someone can confirm...

get an edit feild going for a file name on the desktop, and then envoke Expos� to hide all and show the desktop. Wooosh, it slides off too! This shows text field boxes are small windows .

-Owl

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 01:19 PM

I'm new to this forum, and this has probably already been mentioned; but text in Finder windows now turns white when selected, as opposed to staying black in Jaguar, very welcome feature.

One more thing, DIVX movies play much better in Panther than they ever did in jag too.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 02:54 PM

well, I do not.

in the sidebar.

what in the sidebar)
Please update your browser or stop hitting return, it's very hard to read your posts.

As for favorites, just drag your favorites folder to the sidebar? I'm not sure what the moaning is about.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 23, 2003, 02:59 PM

74 still has core graphics problems with copy and paste.

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 02:59 PM

Is it possible? All the screenshots i've seen have the semi-opaque dock, and i hate it. Is there anything out there that can make it transparent?

-Telusman
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 03:21 PM

Faxing & Printing was hosed for me in 68, has it been improved / fixed in 74?
jesse ;-)

Peterchen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 03:33 PM

I think the sidebar is a step back.
First it looks like Windows Explorer. But that is not the worse part.
Imagine that: you browse some folders in column view. Now you find a folder you are looking for and Command-Klick on it to open this folder in a new window. So the new window opens and most of the content can be seen. Do the same in Panther. The new window is filled with the sidebar and the icons on the top of the window. There is no space left for the content. This is so sad!
To get mor space for the content you have to klick on the sidebar-seperator or you klick on this little thingy in the upper right corner of the window. This takes too much time

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
This shows text field boxes are small windows .

-Owl
Actually, everything is made of small windows graphically in OS X as far as I know....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2003, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Just out of curiosity. Why do you hit return after typing like 7 or 8 words? Why don't you let the thing wrap by itself? Or do you but you're using some odd browser.
Netscape 4.7 on Windows NT won't auto-wrap; rather, the text-entry box will get a horizontal scroll-bar.

Incredible.

Fortunately, through some bizarre oversight, I was able to install Netscape 7.1 at work.

-s*

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Telusman:
Is it possible? All the screenshots i've seen have the semi-opaque dock, and i hate it. Is there anything out there that can make it transparent?

-Telusman
Unsanity is actively working on APE for Panther, so once they finish it you'll probably have a clear dock again.

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 06:59 PM

Having the Favorites folder in the sidebar and then having to click the icon and then browse for the favorite you want offcourse does not compare to having it as a menu in the GO menu. If I have to explain this then, sorry...

About me moaning, I am just giving my opinion, if you want to hear real moaning step into my bedroom, oke allright already?
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 07:05 PM

Is it possible? All the screenshots i've seen have the semi-opaque dock, and i hate it.
I'm sorry to correct you, but the Dock is semi-transparent.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
I'm sorry to correct you, but the Dock is semi-transparent.

Nitpick compensates for his general weakness as a Warrior by pouncing on errors, however irrelevant to the discussion, and using them to discredit the enemy. For example, if his opponent in a sports forum conflict casually mentioned the Cubs' 4-2 victory in the 1908 World Series, Nitpick would quickly counterattack with something like, "4-2 !? Any moron knows the Cubs won the Series 4-1! Someone so ignorant about baseball history can't possibly know anything about salary caps!" Even if the minor point is conceded Nitpick will return to it whenever pressed in the main arena of battle. Nitpick can be easily bested by evenRottweiler Puppy, but he is very tenacious and will never admit defeat. Nitpick is a close ally of Artful Dodger.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 08:26 PM

well, I do not.

The improvement is the flexibility which this new system offers.

You can have your favorites icon in sidebar, or in the toolbar, or in the dock.

If you dont like the sidebar you can close it and use the system like Jaguar.

if you dont like the sidebar or the toolbar you can revert to OS9 style windows.

The only difference is that you dont have the pull down menu in the finder.

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 10:18 PM

Just a quick side question, not support, just a confirmation. Is anyone elses DVD Player acting up in this build? Mine turns every DVD that I open into a scrambled mess. The screencap link there pretty much pictures the problem....

Picture

-Telusman
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 10:34 PM

Just a quick side question, not support, just a confirmation. Is anyone elses DVD Player acting up in this build? Mine turns every DVD that I open into a scrambled mess. The screencap link there pretty much pictures the problem....

Picture
You're not the only one. I have the same problem

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Actually, everything is made of small windows graphically in OS X as far as I know....

That depends on your definition of "window". Certainly not everything is an NSWindow object (nor subclass thereof). They are probably all NSView objects )or subclasses thereof), and in an OS-agnostic graphics class, it could be said that an NSView is a graphics window. But they are not Mac OS windows as such.

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 11:55 PM

Well, after not seeing anything since 7B21 or so, I took a look at 7B74. Actually, I was disappointed.

During the initial setup process the little (uglier) welcome movie stopped on the Apple, then showed about 4 frames of the various welcome texts before the big "X". Even though I liked the old movie better, there's still no reason for my system to stutter like that. Also, still can't join a closed Airport network that has a blank password. Also, there's no help for how to enter "Windows-style" ASCII passwords. I have forgotten what magical change you make to them, since they can't just be typed as-is.

Or take System Preferences for a second. The interface for "Accounts" is the same jumbled mess it was in the WWDC preview. Login items are buried all the way down in Accounts. I still can't find the preferences to fill/stretch/etc the desktop picture. The buttons and controls for the screen saver are jumbled in the window. For whatever reason, hot corners for the screen saver are in a sheet and on Expose they're in the main window.

In the Finder, switching on and off the toolbar does not maintain the window shape and size - instead it moves and resizes. This destroys the idea that the window is a consistent, manipulable object. Also, what exactly do the spinning arrows next to the iDisk do? I can click them, but they don't appear to have any function. Oh, and *don't* cancel the iDisk synchronization or drop your network connection. The whole system started stuttering like mad - 2 second pauses every second or so until I restarted.

As for fast user switching, I switched to the login window. So far so good. Then I logged back in. First I give my password at the login window, then the screen saver for some reason immediately activates and asks for my password again. Why?

This is all on 7B74 on an erase and install.

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
As for fast user switching, I switched to the login window. So far so good. Then I logged back in. First I give my password at the login window, then the screen saver for some reason immediately activates and asks for my password again. Why?
I guess the screen saver app is just not fast-user-switching aware. The user was still logged in (just not actually in control of the GUI), and therefore inactive, so the screensaver switches on for that user (but not visible as that user's GUI is not being displayed). As soon as you switch back to that user, you see their GUI which includes their screensaver.

I hope Apple updates their utilities such as the screensaver to take into account this sort of situation!!!

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
I guess the screen saver app is just not fast-user-switching aware. The user was still logged in (just not actually in control of the GUI), and therefore inactive, so the screensaver switches on for that user (but not visible as that user's GUI is not being displayed). As soon as you switch back to that user, you see their GUI which includes their screensaver.

I hope Apple updates their utilities such as the screensaver to take into account this sort of situation!!!
But I switched out and back in quick succession - a few seconds. I still have no idea why it would activate the way it did.

BTP
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 02:44 AM

Yay! IFix Rene's post are now easier to read!

So to those that have B74, is it really useable, or is is still kind of 'beta-ish'? I guess I am trying to guess if it is going to be GM soon.... I really need to find a hobby...
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2003, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
But I switched out and back in quick succession - a few seconds. I still have no idea why it would activate the way it did.

Did you per chance set a hot corner for it? Like top-right?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 06:51 AM

My impressions of 7B74

1. The DVD Player Scrambled Mess reported by Telusman is gone. All of my DVD's now work fine

2. The annoying line in the Finder>Preferences>Sidebar is now fixed. It looks clean now

3. for Revolution 7.1 card owners, there is a new Panther compatible driver at M-audio.
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 07:05 AM

My Revolution 7.1 now works perfectly under panther. wooo hoooo

now to check if the surround output works under apple DVD Player.
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 07:10 AM

Wow! The Rev 7.1 is now listed under DVD ound output selection. I can now use Apple DVD Player to output 5.1 sound from the Revolution's Coax digital Output. No more VLC.
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by BTP:

So to those that have B74, is it really useable, or is is still kind of 'beta-ish'? I guess I am trying to guess if it is going to be GM soon.... I really need to find a hobby...
I use it everyday on all of my Macs. One here at work and two at home.
iChat still has some weird bugs with chat text disappearing. Resizing the window brings the text back.

jasong
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 08:46 AM

2 second pauses every second or so

-- Jason

version
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 08:59 AM

it seems stable enough but there's a few quirks lingering around, nothing that would really hamper a nomral usage out of it. One bug I've found in Safari, is evtering text fields, such as this, the text will vanish as you scroll down.

the only thing that's keeping me from really using it, is the lack of 3rd party application support, and broken apps. Panther is shaping up nicely though, so far.
A Jew with a view.

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Did you per chance set a hot corner for it? Like top-right?
Nope, nothing. This is why I'm so confused. I'll admit that I was one of those people just about foaming at the mouth for Panther, but now... I'll just stick with Jaguar a while and Max Rudberg's Sunken Aqua Extreme theme.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by version:
One bug I've found in Safari, is evtering text fields, such as this, the text will vanish as you scroll down.
That bug existed in 7B68 but I have not seen it in 7B74.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 10:47 AM

I don't like the new Apple logo
Dare to post an image?

oeyvind
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
Apple uses Adobe Myriad Pro SemiBold. The exact same version included on the Adobe Font Folio 9 CD
The Myriad variant that Apple uses is consist of two dfonts Myriad Apple Medium and Myriad Apple Text, which includes

Text, TextItalic, Medium, MediumItalic, Semibold, SemiboldItalic, Bold and BoldItalic.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 11:08 AM

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 11:19 AM

cooool

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by lookmark:
How does Panther run on that machine?
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
That bug existed in 7B68 but I have not seen it in 7B74.
I have.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
I have.
Does it occur all the time for you? In 68, it was very consistent, but it hasn't reared its ugly head yet for me in 74.
Did you do an archive and install?

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 12:28 PM

I find it very usable, just a few small problems remain from what i can see, for one DVD playback, it just doesnt work on my machine (not tried it on another machine, so i cant comment if its' machine specific) I still hate the brushed metal finder but thats a "feature" not a bug. Sometimes the loginwindow hangs when logging in as root during fast user switching. And i cant seem to use >console at the login screen, it simply hangs and dies until i SSH in and destroy the login widnow processes.

Battery life isn't anything special on my Powerbook, however it's still much better than 10.2.8 :o)

The system feels as responsive as OS 9 in most cases and it's very pleasant to use. A few applications have some interface bugs but thats just because they've not been "ported" over to the Panther UI.

The new version of Safari is wicked fast, it borders on pre-cognitive rendering using its Safari-sense. On my broadband connection it loads CNN.com in about 2 seconds. Very refreshing.

Most applications launch in about 1 bounce, give an extra bounce for heavy system load. Im going to be installing it on my server for a few minutes just to try and get a general feel on an older machine (iMacDV 400Mhz)

I've made some screenshots but i am hesitant to post them for the time being. Perhaps soon.

All in all the build feels fairly polished, not as polished as the chrome apple displayed everywhere, but polished enough to be used on a regular basis and feel safe that your data isn't going to be fused into a heaping pile of steaming 1's and 0's.

-Telusman

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Anand:
You'll have to ask Jade Kasper -- or whatever pseudonym is popular at the moment -- over at AI.

http://www.appleinsider.com/news/

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Anand:
A 400 MHz G3? Heck, that could be a Pismo, an iBook, an iMac - it's not that old and should be perfectly capable of running Panther.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Does it occur all the time for you? In 68, it was very consistent, but it hasn't reared its ugly head yet for me in 74.
Did you do an archive and install?
Not all the time, but enough to notice it, no, I just updated.

TC
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
A 400 MHz G3? Heck, that could be a Pismo, an iBook, an iMac - it's not that old and should be perfectly capable of running Panther.
I don't think he was asking how was it capable of running on that machine, more a case of how well does it run on that machine.
Nothing to see, move along.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by TC:
I don't think he was asking how was it capable of running on that machine, more a case of how well does it run on that machine.
Ah, you're probably right. That's what I get for reading the thread too quickly, I guess...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules