Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird 10.4.10 Build Number

Weird 10.4.10 Build Number
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2007, 02:36 AM

I run a mac lab at a school, and the teachers have iMacs/eMacs on their desks. I use Remote Desktop (RD) to control things, and I noticed something weird on a new iMac we just received. It is an Intel 17" 1.83 GHz model, but it says it is running Build 8R3032 of 10.4.10. I did a search here, but didn't find anything. Does anyone know why this is different. We have about 10 of the same iMacs in teachers/staff rooms, but they all say Build 8R2232, and there is no way to upgrade these. Below are two pictures of about this Mac I took via Remote Desktop (that is why they are black and white). I have NOT done any photoshopping on these pictures.

Any ideas what is going on???

Here is the list of computers in Remote Desktop

You will notice, RD says they are running 10.4.9, that is an error you can read about here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305815
Thanks

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 26, 2007, 03:59 AM

Has anyone been able to reach the Mac before you saw that? It's easy enough to edit the build number. Student prank?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 04:19 AM

8R3032 is the correct build number for 10.4.10 included on an Intel iMac (says Apple). I believe 8R2232 is the build Software Update installs if you're upgrading from a previous version. It's fairly normal for factory-installed builds to be different from the builds you get from Software Update. I would guess, since they're usually higher numbers, that the factory builds include support for new hardware.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Sep 26, 2007 at 04:26 AM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2007, 08:03 AM

@reader50, no it is a Teacher computer, plus, she teaches K-2nd grade and I am sure they wouldn't know how to do that.

Looks like Chuckit found the answer. I could have SWORN MY LIFE that I searched Apple completely, and that number never came up. Thanks so much for the answer! Just made me crazy constantly seeing that different build number!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2007, 07:11 PM

redundant post...

Forum Links
Forum Rules