Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 and Norton Utilities 4.0.4

OS 9 and Norton Utilities 4.0.4
robw
Oct 27, 1999, 03:19 PM

I read somewhere that this version worked with OS 9, but after installing the system, Nortons won't work anymore. I need to upgrade to 5.0 correct? Didn't really want to spend the money!!!!

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 1999, 03:59 PM

NUM 5.0 is in the cards for you...

indeed, 9 needs it.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 1999, 04:55 PM

"NUM 5.0 is in the cards for you..."

Not necessarily! Don't stand for it - don't let Symantec rob you. Instead, buy TechTool Pro instead - Micromat provides free updates. I just updated from 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 for free which fully supports OS 9.

Frank

robw
Oct 27, 1999, 06:17 PM

thanks, i might just check out techtool...

Parrish
Oct 27, 1999, 06:20 PM

I don't want to spew misinformation, so someone correct me if this is wrong.

What I've gathered so far is that File Saver in Norton Util 4.0 causes problems with OS 9. Perhaps a custom install w/o file saver will work. I haven't tried this yet to see if it will work (Just got OS 9 working; I'm not ready to revisit those nightmares yet)

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 1999, 06:44 PM

nope, 4.0 won't jive with OS 9...

not just FileSaver though it causes problems wherever it goes... and I'd say that for whatever version of FileSaver running on whatever Mac using whatever MacOS.

and Frank is quite correct, there are alternatives and all of them have their drawbacks as does Norton/Symantec... I have noted a great deal of trouble with the newest TechTool Pro, and doubtless there will be just as much kicking and screaming from people about Norton 5.0, but the deal is this:
if you want Norton on your OS 9 Mac, it had better be 5.0!

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-27-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules