Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > advice for a second mac

advice for a second mac
Vanquish
Aug 25, 2002, 05:22 PM

Well, I'm going to need a second mac (second hand) for my new house in the south of France, I'm not interested in buying a brand new one, because it won't be used that much).
The OS will be a dual-boot OS9.1 and a Linux distro (I don�t think you can find a computer that runs OSX reasonable, who is in the price-range)
I�m planning to run Photoshop 6 or 7 on it and Office 2001, and of course it will be used for internet/mail/IM (probably on an ADSL connection). I�m will need to be able to connect my Nikon Coolpix 995 to it so I�m going to need a USB-interface. I would also like a RAID-setup (the one-big-hard-drive-version not the safety-I-have-everything-double-lame-version). So what I already saw is a PowerMac 9600/350. Is this a good choice? I would also like to be able to use the voice verification in OS9 so an Apple PlainTalk mic would be needed, is it any good ? As a printer I chose an LaserWriter Select 310. As for the monitor: I am interested in a ColorSync 20" or a StudioDisplay 17", can you recommend these one or another one ? (I'm especially interested in the ColorSync 20"). I�m willing to add an Asant� Fast 10/100 ethernet card, for fast networking between the PowerMac and an other eMac that will be there (and for using an Inkjet that�s connected to that eMac. A Voodoo 3 PCI will be used instead of the standad video-card (unless someone else says not to go for this one). I would also like to upgrade the RAM to 768 MB or maybe the full 1,5 GB (if it isn�t too expensive). So does anyone reccomend this setup ? or does it totally suck :d ? What is your opnion/ideas ? Could someone give a few names of expansion cards I need (USB, Ethernet, maybe other video-cards, etc.). I won�t be needing FireWire. And one last thing: does anyone have any experience with a Orange PCfx 650 card (the one with the Pentium 200 on it).

My budget is around �1000 / $1000

PS: I�m not interesten in an iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules