Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 10.1.5 issues on a PowerMac 8500

10.1.5 issues on a PowerMac 8500
himself
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 09:09 PM

I posted this in the OS X general discussion forum, but recieved no informative bites, so I'm posting it here as well, just in case...

As stated in the subject, I have 10.1.5 running on an 8500. I have it running two displays; one from the built in dispaly port and the other from a Radeon 7000. The issue is that OSX does not remember any of my display arrangements/ desktop settings... not after a shutdown or restart, not even when I log out and log back in. It doesn't even remeber my monitor resolution and color depth settings. I searched for preferences related to these settings and deleted them, but no change. Is this an irreconcilable issue with OS X and old-world powermacs? Or has someone discovered a fix?
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by himself:
I posted this in the OS X general discussion forum,... ... It doesn't even remeber my monitor resolution and color depth settings. I searched for preferences related to these settings and deleted them, but no change. Is this an irreconcilable issue with OS X and old-world powermacs? Or has someone discovered a fix?
Although you might not like to hear me say this if you are an experienced 8500er, the first thing that comes to mind is a failing battery. Does perhaps network settings get lost as well? I know that replacing a battery in an 8500 is a penance worthy of the most heinous of sins [as also is adding/replacing ram] but this is a first place to start. I have an 8500 that until the weekend ran 10.1.5 and now runs 10.2 without a hitch. I am quite amazed. It has a Newer Tech 275 Mz G3 and 262 meg of ram but I think I will add another 256 meg ram and perhaps a 400-500ish G3 . The plan is to use it as a file, mail and web server.

himself  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 02:07 AM

Yeah, the battery is fine... OS 9 works as expected (all of the settings are in place, remembers date, time, screen/desktop settings etc). The only issue is how to maintain dual display settings in OSX so that it won't keep defaulting to the built-in display, when I want the dispaly attached to the PCI graphics card to be the default
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules