Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > All in the Family Upgrades

All in the Family Upgrades
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2010, 11:49 PM

I have an iPhone 3GS on AT&T. My wife has an original iPhone, unlocked on T-Mobile. When iPhone 4 comes out later this month, I'm going to port my wife's number to AT&T. She doesn't care about the latest and greatest, which works out great for me. I'll carry the iPhone 4 and give her my year-old 3GS.

A year ago, this would've involved a simple SIM swap. Now that the new phone uses a micro-SIM, how do I do this?

Will AT&T care which of us has which phone? I'll certainly have to involve them to get my number married to the micro-SIM and her ported number on my current SIM.

Is this likely to suck as bad as I'm fearing?

Thoughts!?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2010, 12:44 AM

Cut the SIM down to microSIM size. Seriously.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2010, 07:29 AM

Cutting down SIMs to micro-size doesn't always work. In my experience, AT&T is usually quite cooperative in this sort of thing-they still get a new iPhone subscriber, right? It can't hurt to ask them before you take an unreversable step.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules