Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help! System Crash with 9.04/error type 41

Help! System Crash with 9.04/error type 41
rotuts
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2001, 10:59 AM

My HD crashed, and gave me this error when starting up: System error Time Synchronizer error type 41 restart.

I did this then it said Time Synchronizer bus error.

And can go no father in repairs

The new Disk first aid (8.6) said nothing was the matter, and Norton 5.02 can�t finish examining the disk

I have a G3 blue and white 350Hz and run system 9.04. I believe ive added the appropriate smaller updaters. I have 9.1, but have not installed it.

I have a new DSL (verizon) connection I�m trying for a month, and wonder if this has something to do with it. This is the third time my system has been damaged since Ive started using this, but don�t know if it is the culprit. Both previous times the new disk first aid repaired the problems, but not now.

Norton 5.02 seems to think there are other problems before it stops working, and if I repair them (directory fork to a certain section, the new disk first aid repairs them back.

Any ideas? Is there something better than Norton? Do I need to do a clean install?
I�m now running on 8.6 from a partition on the same HD.

Thanks a lot. Rotuts
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

elzinat
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2001, 03:25 PM

from the Apple Tech Info Library: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n24431
__________________________________________________ _

Symptom

During startup the computer presents a dialog box with Error Type 41. The computer stops responding and the desktop never appears. The same thing happens even if extensions are disabled.

Solution

Error Type 41 is not new and is not unique to any version of System 7, Mac OS 8, or Mac OS 9.

This error means "can't load the Finder." If you receive this error message it is likely that the Finder has been damaged. Deleting the Finder and reinstalling it should correct the situation.Performing a clean installation of all the system software is not necessary unless simply reinstalling the Finder does not work.
Reinstalling the Finder is done by removing the Finder and performing a simple installation of just the base system.

Locking the Finder (in the "Get Info" window) may prevent the error condition from recurring. However, be aware that a locked Finder can cause some system software installations to fail. If using Mac OS 8, upgrading to at least Mac OS 8.1 may help prevent one cause of this issue.

If the error occurred immediately after installing some software, there may have been a failure during installation or you may have some incompatible software. Any time you are reinstalling software to correct an error or behavior, you should run Disk First Aid beforehand and repair any damage found by Disk First Aid.

To read more about performing a clean installation of system software, please see article 30691: "Mac OS: When & Why to Perform a Clean Installation"

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

Forum Links
Forum Rules