Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.04 and Verizon DSL (orDSL in general)

OS 9.04 and Verizon DSL (orDSL in general)
rotuts
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2001, 03:08 PM

Hello,
I have a B&W G3 350Hz with 128 MB running 9.04. Im trying a DSL connnection for a month (verizon) and have had three serious system crashes?degradations.
the first was fixed with DiskFIrstAid 8.6 ( NOT 8.55) and said there was a wrapper problem.
the second seemed to go a way with multiple reboots, and the third Ive yet to be able to repair, error -41 finder corruption. I was unable to do a clean install on the corrupted partition, and was partially sucessful on a second partition but the finder was unstable and now won't work there, and now am running on the third partition using 8.6

does the DSL speed corrupt the finder/system from time to time? I hesistate updating the 8.6 partition to 9.04, as its the only thing still working.
Im using an old dialup 56k account to seek HELP!!!!!

thanks Rotuts
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Tominator
Jan 15, 2001, 04:24 PM

No, there is absolutely no way that DSL is causing these problems. It's just a coincidence that these crashes are happening at the same time.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2001, 10:19 AM

Reformat. Back a backup copy of the clean install (disk copy image file). Use ResEdit to check the system file if it is modified. Replace as needed.

Get Disk Warrior or Norton 6. Learn how to fix, repair and what to trash etc after a crash. Amazon has the most popular books on Mac and leading it is "Sad Macs, 4th Edition" - a gem of a bible on upgrades, troubleshooting.

It is of course possible that the DSL software could be a problem. But not DSL itself. 128MB RAM is minimal for OS 9 and IE5 or NC 4.7 - both can require 50MB.

Gregory

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2001, 11:03 AM

DSL does not cause the problems you have. I've been using DSL for more than a year with no problem at all. Some DSL connections require that you install software, usually PPPoE of some sort, and that may be causing the problem. If that's the case, you might consider using EnterNet, which you can get/read about at http://www.nts.com/products/enternet_overvw.html
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

kwyjibo
Jan 20, 2001, 02:00 AM

I'm using verizon DSL without any system complaints. I'm using B&W G3 400 with 192 meg ram.Running system 9.0.4 and 9.1.

Verizon updated the connection software abit ago or at least changed the logo, check for the update.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2001, 10:29 AM

Been using USWest(now Qwest) ADSL for a year and a half. No problems since 9.0 came out. I had a long running problem with 8.5 and 8.6 where OT was causing 27second system hangs every 8, then 10 minutes.

DP550 gigabit/384 RAM/OS 9.0.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules