Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Problems installing Mac OS 9.1

Problems installing Mac OS 9.1
aloner
Mar 11, 2002, 11:50 AM

I am not too happy with OS 9.2.1 in my brand new iBook (G3500,15Gb, 128 Mb, CD), so I have decided to install OS 9.1.

However, when I try to restart the iBook with a full install OS 9.1 CD inside and keeping the "C" key pressed, my iBook doesn�t recognize the CD and starts as usual.

Is this normal?. Any reason why my new iBook wouldn�t recognize a OS 9.1 CD?

Thanks

Griz
Mar 11, 2002, 12:10 PM

Does it reconize any CD? What about the startup C Panel.
G4 Quicksilver 2002 800Mhz CD-RW Zip 250 15 inch LCD Apple Studio Display HPdeskjet 940c OS X 10.3.2

aloner  (op)
Mar 11, 2002, 02:21 PM

It recognizes the OS 9.2.1 CD and the OS 10.1 CD, but does not recognize the OS 9.1 CD as a startup disk.
The OS 9.1 CD contents can be viewed without problems though, so the CD appears to be OK.

Throdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2002, 02:34 PM

I run into this issue all the time. Each new revision of mac hardware is not able to boot older CD's. I have yet to find a work around.

m_matsu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2002, 05:41 PM

Rom is the difference, the only way that I know of to get 9.1 working is to install on an external firewire drive copy the Mac OS ROM file from 9.2.2 then copy that system folder back to the iBook, it'll more than likely be very unstable, I'd stick with 9.2.2, been rock solid for my Ti 500.

although I've been in X for the last few months, it was solid when I was in 9.2.2

Worboren
Mar 14, 2002, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by aloner:
<STRONG>It recognizes the OS 9.2.1 CD and the OS 10.1 CD, but does not recognize the OS 9.1 CD as a startup disk.
The OS 9.1 CD contents can be viewed without problems though, so the CD appears to be OK.</STRONG>
Had the same prob, thought it was due to a non-Apple drive (swapped my DVD-ROM for a Teac CDRW). The most simple solution that worked for me: do a clean install of 9.1. In that case the installer didn't care to reboot from a CD and I did it a few times with no problems. Then just drag over your prefs, control panels and extensions from the "Previous System Folder".

Forum Links
Forum Rules