Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > CD ROM won'ty play in MacOS

CD ROM won'ty play in MacOS
alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2000, 07:52 PM

It works fine in Linux. (Bjork's Newest kicks serious butt) I have a Beige G3/266. I have attached to a third party USB card, an Iomega CDRW. The deal is, the CDRW is recognized, but not my internal CD ROM. How do I fix that? I unplugged the CDRW, but got the same problem. Data CD's will mount on the CDRW. Music CD's will play on the CDRW's but I get no sound. System profiler shows no internal CD, but it does show the Iomega.

Is this about when the extension load? BTW, I have all the right Apple CD extensions.

Should I endeavor to reorder the load order of the extensions. If so, how and which ones?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2000, 08:40 PM

sounds like a hardware problem with the internal CD-ROM. have you been messing around inside your machine lately? maybe all the connectors are not plugged in.

the issue with your external CD-RW doesn't have a solution. although the drive can transfer data to your machine, there is no way for it to transfer sound. if you want to hear sound from that drive, you're going to need some headphones or external speakers that plug into the external drive.

-r.

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2000, 08:50 PM

If it is a hardware problem, why does the CD ROM work just fine under Linux? It has to be an extension problem I reinstalled OS9.04 to see if that would clear it up. No dice. I guess i ought to boot back into the Mac side to see if i can tweak some more. I think I will go with the base install extensions to see what that does. One more round of XBill and I will give it a try.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2000, 09:16 PM

oh, you meant the DRIVE? i thought you meant bj�rk's new DISC worked fine under linux.

-r.

[This message has been edited by rjenkinson (edited 10-27-2000).]

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2000, 10:18 PM

I am stumped. I removed the CDRW thinking that booting up without it would somehow allow the system to recognize the internal CD ROM. If I put in the OS9 cd and boot from it, then it will show on the desktop. I just put the disc in, but it didn't appear.

I had been having trouble with booting since I installed OS9.04. I removed the Logitech Mouseware software and that helped. It was freezing during boot.

I have tried several types of discs, data and music, none would mount.

Older versions of the extension folder doesn't have anything that looks like it would help.

But if I boot into Linux, data and music discs will mount from my internal CD ROM.

BTW

I was using the Bjork disc to test to see if it would work in Linux.

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2000, 11:30 PM

I can now play CD's, but only in the Iomega. I just took the plug from my radio and put it into my Iomega.

I have my radio (a walkman) attached to the sound in. Sounds pretty good. So now if I want to use my CD player, it will have to be the Iomega. That is until I figure out the problem. My internal still does not show in the system profiler. I noted that there is a menu in Toast that says Mount CD ROM, yeah right. Didn't do anything.

I might take all Iomega software off my machine and unplug the drive, then reinstall 9.04 and then reinstall the Iomega software. I might also trash toast too. The problem started after I installed 9.04.

I tried loud profanity, but that didn't work.

RESOLVED!!!!!!!

I installed the Zip CD650 into my internal CD ROM Drive and rebooted. I went upstairs, and when I came down, there was the Iomega splash screen. I guess this is one of those Things that Fritz Perls referred to as "miracle cures."

I am now listening to The Modern Jazz Quartets "Django." So this conflict started with Bjork, and ended with Milt Jackson and friends.

[This message has been edited by alfredo (edited 10-29-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules