Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Partitioning freeware/shareware?

Partitioning freeware/shareware?
Rptleyob
Dec 17, 1999, 08:00 PM

Does anyone know of any software either Apple or third party that allows one to partition their HD but that is either freeware or shareware?

Gregg
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 1999, 12:20 AM

I believe Apple's Drive Setup utility can help you do that. It was shipped with OS 8.0 for sure (that's what my G3 came with) and probably with all updates since. Prior to 8.0 I'm not sure.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 1999, 07:27 PM

Yup, was with system 7 too. Before hfs+, the only way to get the most out of a drive was to partition it, to avoid getting minimum file sizes of 128k and above.
Aaron

Rptleyob
Dec 19, 1999, 06:38 AM

Pleaswe forgive my stupidity here but I thought that Apple's Drive Setup did as well. However I couldnj't find it listed anywhere! Could someone please post a quick walkthrough on how to do it?

newsmac
Dec 19, 1999, 10:34 AM

Rptleyob, Drive setup is in your system folder, in the Utilities folder. It will partition your HD, but remember 3 things BEFORE YOU START: 1) You MUST have an operating system CD to boot the system from once you erase the HD. 2) In order to partition your HD, you have to INITIALIZE it first, and that will erase E V E R Y T H I N G !!!!!!! on the disk, so make complete back up copies of everything you want to keep, and open all your control panels and write all your preferences & settings, especially your internet configs, TCP/IP, Modem, Remote Access, ect ect..The only exception would be if you have programs that the you have the original CD's for, you can always reload them fresh from there, and 3) Go to the apple help menu and PRINT THE INSTRUCTIONS for this procedure, so you can refer to it during the process. If you are having system problems and have tried all the other remedies, then a fresh, clean HD with completely new files will amaze you. It is a lot of work, but well worth it if it eliminates the headaches and frustration that results from corrupted files and other system problems. The procedure follows in next message. BTW, the Drive setup utility ONLY works for Apple's OEM drives.

[This message has been edited by newsmac (edited 12-19-1999).]

newsmac
Dec 20, 1999, 10:32 AM

TO: RptleyOb: found out what the "U" stands for in the file formats, it's not Ultra, it's UNIX. Probably there in preperation for OS X, which will use some elements of UNIX code. Just thought you would like to know. :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules