Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Any more news about the Linux problem?

Any more news about the Linux problem?
Rory
May 2, 2000, 12:44 PM

Has anyone heard anymore about LinuxPPC and 9.0.4? I too experienced problems trying to boot. I haven't tried the yaboot method yet .... I was hoping that due to the volume of problems many have stated using 9.0.4, that Apple might offer another release. Barring that I have also been scowering the Linux pages etc. My objective is to do multi-booting using Mac On Linux and of course I can't even get out of the gate to investigate these capabilities. MOL in theory shouldn't be ROM restricted as with the case of using something like System Picker under MacOS.

JimWall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2000, 11:38 AM

I'm posting this from LinuxPPC and I'm not having any problems booting. Are you on the users mailing list? I've seen some stuff on there about this problem. Go to http://www.linuxppc.org the lists are there. The lists are the best place to get help on linuxppc. Let me know if this helps out. I have a complete set of digests from the list and if you like I can pull all the posts on this, though there is a search on the site.

James Wall
[email protected]
James Wall
[email protected]

Donald
May 3, 2000, 02:01 PM

Anyone would need more information to help you. Linux can be tripped into unusability by many types of hardware... what are you trying to use it on?

baliset
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2000, 09:57 PM

Ok, if you want a specific combination of hardware to speculate whether it will run Linux...

9.0.4 Pismo with Adaptec SlimSCSI 1480 PCMCIA card, connected to an external SCSI Orb (2.2Gb) drive. I want to book Linux from a partition on the Orb cartridge. Can I do it?

------------------
Nathan Zamprogno,
Manager, Baliset Solutions
[email protected]
Nathan Zamprogno,
Manager, Baliset Solutions
[email protected]

Rory
May 4, 2000, 01:05 PM

I am using a an AGP G4 450 - DVD RAM installed. No other eccentricities plenty of space, plenty of RAM. Right now very vanilla.

Thanx .... Rory

Forum Links
Forum Rules