Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9.0.4 newbie

MacOS 9.0.4 newbie
AlphaDog
May 19, 2000, 04:58 PM

i recently upgraded my iMac rev D to OS 9.0.4
And i hate it, it starts up slower, everything takes longer. if anyone knows any secrets or tips for me to help me with this, i would appreciate them.
I will check here, but

please, feel free to email me at
[email protected]

thanks

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 19, 2000, 06:03 PM

you can try these things:

delete the AppleShare PDS file, it is an invisible file which can be found if it exists on your Mac by using Sherlock and if it is found you can delete it by selecting it in the Sherlock search results window and using the 'command' and 'delete' key command

delete the Temp Items folder using EmptyTempFolder freeware available here: http://www.stimpsoft.com/downloads.html

Turn off 'Remeber recent items' in the Apple Menu Options control panel

Uncheck (turn off) 'PC disks: Mount at startup' in the File Exchange control panel

and do you have an alias(es) to any large folders/volumes in your Apple Menu? get rid of them

delete the Servers folder in the System Folder just for good measure...

and last, but not necessarily finally, rebuild the desktop using TechTool 1.2.1 freeware available here: http://www17.pair.com/macnn/software/TechTool_1.2.1.sit

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2000, 10:32 PM

Alpha Dog, I am running 9.0.4 also and also thought that it started slower then 8.6. This may help increase start up time. Click on the apple, go to control panels, go to memory and before opening hold down option and apple keys this will open a hidden section in the memory window called start up memory test which your computer runs every time you start up. Turn this off and this will shave some time off of your start up. No need to turn back on unless you have a need for computer to run a memory test.

Hope this helps you a little.

rhino_g3

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2000, 09:16 AM

It is good to have you around wlnoh. Keep the great advice coming.

oh yeah, and Mac rules!!!!

rhino_g3

reader50
Administrator
Jun 11, 2000, 06:21 PM

If you got to 9.04 through upgrades, the new files may be scattered all over. I have been going the update route, and booting does seem to be getting longer. Of course, I have also been adding more & more cool stuff along the way.

Optimizing the disk may speed up startup some. There are utilities just to optimize the boot process. Here is a comparison someone did.
I just downloaded Startup Doubler myself, and will see if it makes any difference.

The ultimate upgrade: The Mac OS X people are talking about a 10-sec startup with a minimum system install when v1.0 ships! Hope they manage it.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 06-11-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules