Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ERROR MESSAGE: Problem with disk...???

ERROR MESSAGE: Problem with disk...???
alsomerville
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2001, 06:49 PM

ERROR: "There is a problem with the disk. Some information may have been lost. Check any recently-used files for data loss, and use a disk-repair program on the disk."

APPLE KNOWLEDGE BASE: Article Number 24176 indicates that the error message is some form of disk caching problem somehow related to OS 8. Though, I have reinitialized my drive several times and reinstalled OS 8.5 thru to 9.1 and the error message still reappears. I initialized using Disk Setup on OS9 CD as HFS+ for reference.

Having been advised that my hard drive needed to be replaced, I went out and bought a new drive. However, the new drive doesn't seem to be the problem after all. The error message is still there and it has completely shutdown my system.

Could anyone let me know what might be causing this problem and how to repair it? I've tried Dist First Aid as suggested in the Article, TechTool Pro, Disk Warrior, Norton, and MacMedic. I'm at the end of my rope and I'm contemplating retiring my Powerbook altogether.

Please email me direct at [email protected], since this is an emergency situation.

Thanks in advance

Alan Somerville

For Reference: Article Number 24176
This message is displayed when an error is encountered writing data from the disk cache to the hard disk, indicating an issue with the disk named in the message. You should run Apple Disk First Aid or another drive utility application to address this issue.

Since this error does not occur when data is saved but when the disk cache is written to the hard disk, the operating system displays the message and not the application that was used to edit the data.

Forum Links
Forum Rules