Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Upscaling images?

Upscaling images?
Thorzdad
Jul 13, 2022, 09:46 AM

Does anyone here happen to have (or have access to) software that does non-destructive upscaling of images? And would be willing to help a brother out?

I've noticed a lot of people posting images in other sites that were older works they've done that they have now upscaled, using software, and the results are really impressive. Like, you wouldn't have guess that they started out life at almost half the new size! I have older art that I would like to enlarge to make them better applicable to merch and the like. The images were good in their day, but don't meet updated minimum resolution/size requirements, and all my attempts in Photoshop end up predictably fuzzy.

Thanks!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2022, 12:01 PM

Are you using CC 2022?

Thorzdad  (op)
Jul 13, 2022, 02:36 PM

Lord no. I’m perpetually stuck at CS5. Old computer=old software. On the upside, I’m not paying Adobe a monthly tithe.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2022, 02:52 PM

Oh! I can theoretically help then! The current Adobe upscaler should be able to swing at least 2X. I use it in After Effects a lot for upscaling 1080 to 2160, and it’s actually pretty decent.

If you can Dropbox them, PM me a link, if not, we’ll find a different way.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jul 13, 2022, 04:28 PM

Thanks! I believe I have Dropbox on my work computer. If not, I can just put them in a public folder on my website :

andi*pandi
Jul 14, 2022, 11:57 AM

teamwork!

Adobe also advertises a free online tool, would that work on your old computer thorz? https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/resize
There are other online tools of dubious quality.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jul 14, 2022, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Adobe also advertises a free online tool, would that work on your old computer thorz?
Good question. I’m not at it right now, so I’ll check tomorrow. I kind of doubt it, though. It’s a late-2009 iMac, and the OS is at least four versions behind. Maybe five.

That link definitely doesn’t work on my old iPad. Nothing but an empty white page.

Forum Links
Forum Rules