Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Definitive List of Apple Silicon-Compatible Apps?

Definitive List of Apple Silicon-Compatible Apps?
ghporter
Administrator
May 12, 2023, 04:18 PM

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded the OS on my Late 2015 MBP. But it only went up to Monterey, not Ventura. It seems that my i3-based MBP has topped out…

So given that it’s not particularly feasible to upgrade any of the hardware inside the 2015 MBP, it looks more likely that I will be in the market for a new MBP sooner rather than later. And therein lies the issue: all new Macs have Apple chips, and so far as I can tell, there’s a big gap between the existing library of Intel-compatible apps and Apple-compatible apps.

So is there a definitive, accurate, complete, and comprehensive list of apps that have been updated to work with M1 and M2 chips?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
May 12, 2023, 05:40 PM

There isn't a "late-2015" MBP that I'm aware of. I checked all the 2015 MBPs, MBs, and MB Airs, and they do stop at Monterey officially. Unofficially, the Ventura patching is going well. Looks like all 2015s will be supported by the community for Ventura.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 13, 2023, 09:03 PM

It’s a Retina, “early 2015,” 2.9 GHz, 13” machine. I’m not sure how I confused late for early…. And it apparently has an i5, not an i3 processor, with 8GB of RAM and a 512GB PCIe-based flash drive.

Anyway, I need to look into the Ventura patching. If it’s anywhere as good, smooth, and solid as the patching that got my 2007 iMac running a 21st Century OS, I’m on board.

I probably still need to have the battery serviced. The computer says so, and I have noticed a distinct reduction in how long it takes for the battery level to get “really, really low.”

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2023, 05:37 PM

https://roaringapps.com seems to be maintaining a pretty decent list of what apps work on what OS/hardware combinations. At least it keeps coming up when I Google my own software

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 13, 2023, 01:41 PM

I just came across this article on installing unsupported OS versions on Macs. It looks like the issues in the MacRumors post reader shared above have been (mostly) taken care of.

I’m going to tentatively schedule updating my MBP for some time in August - I want to have plenty of time to get all those squirrelly ducks sort of lined up, or at least not acting like they’re at a rave. I need to get rid of a bunch of apps that I do not ever use, and do some more clean up/maintenance stuff. And frankly the rest of July is kind of full, schedule-wise.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 13, 2023, 04:10 PM

I've used the OpenCore Legacy Patcher method (preferred for OS 11+) to upgrade to Monterey and to Ventura. Biggest problem was Migration Assistant.

hint: unplug network access (or turn off your wireless on the router) before proceeding.

I suspect half my problems came from a software update trying to happen in the background *while* Migration Assistant was in progress. Both OSes default to installing at least some updates, and you can't reach those settings until after the migration is complete. So the half-hour you're locked out is the perfect time to start another update, and dink everything up.

ps - Apple brought more of the iOS poison into macOS with Ventura. System Preferences is particularly sad. I'll probably stay on Monterey for awhile, to avoid that alone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules