Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > To Air or Not to Air?

To Air or Not to Air?
Thorzdad
Apr 27, 2023, 07:36 PM

So, my trusty 1st-gen iPad Air is starting to give up the ghost, and I’m looking at my options for a replacement. Looking at Apple’s refurb offerings, I’m kind of shocked at the price difference between the Airs and the standard iPad. The Airs are substantially more expensive.

The main reason I got the Air way back then was for the weight savings. At least back then, the difference was striking. Is the weight difference between Airs and not-Airs still as marked? How about performance differences between the two?

reader50
Administrator
Apr 27, 2023, 07:48 PM

According to MacTracker, the weights are as follows:
1st gen iPad Air: 1.0 pounds. (what you're used to)
4th gen iPad from the same time: 1.46 pounds.
Current models:
10th gen iPad: 1.06 pounds
5th gen iPad Air: 1.02 pounds
4th gen iPad Pro 11-inch: 1.04 pounds
6th gen iPad Pro 12.9-inch: 1.51 pounds

Looks like they're mostly differentiated by screen size, and most are now about the same weight you're used to. I'd choose based on features, and not worry about the weight.

andi*pandi
Apr 27, 2023, 08:35 PM

I went with the non-air.... the weight is not really an issue and I still have a home buttan!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 20, 2023, 01:22 PM

Late to the party here.

While the weight of the iPad versus Air isn’t a real issue, the iPad Air is quite a bit thinner. This makes handling it different from handling the regular iPad.

I’m typing this on a third gen iPad Air, who’s battery is getting close to that decision point: replace the battery or replace the device. So I investigated how to change this unit’s battery. The iFixIt procedure for replacing the 3rd Gen iPad Air’s battery is rated at “difficult,” and has 64 steps. Wow, that’s a lot of steps. So my decision now is whether to have the battery replaced or buy a new iPad Air. I really like my Air, so it’s a difficult decision.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules