Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The elusive, "undecided" voter

The elusive, "undecided" voter
greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 02:37 PM

Do they really exist? I mean, how on earth any breathing American can still be undecided at this point in the race is beyond me.

Thoughts?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 02:47 PM

Beats me. I certainly don't know any undecideds. Though as I mentioned at the time, my brother-in-law switched from Bush to Kerry after the first debate.

I think at this point you have more like "dissatisfied" voters, rather than undecideds; i.e. they're unhappy with where the country is, but don't really like Kerry either.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:
Do they really exist? I mean, how on earth any breathing American can still be undecided at this point in the race is beyond me.

Thoughts?
Lesser-of-two-evils.

I figure thats why some people are undecided.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Dakar:
Lesser-of-two-evils.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2004, 03:37 PM

I think some people are just afraid of making a choice and sticking with it. I could be full of crap though, I don't know a single undecided voter.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2004, 03:59 PM

Well, I live with one undecided, Sarra. She hates them both and is threatening to vote for Nader, even though she doesn't like him either (just as a protest). Kim's already voting for Nader (she did last time), so in my house, Nader would win the presidency (Nader 2, Bush 1).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Well, I live with one undecided, Sarra. She hates them both and is threatening to vote for Nader, even though she doesn't like him either (just as a protest). Kim's already voting for Nader (she did last time), so in my house, Nader would win the presidency (Nader 2, Bush 1).
I heard today that Nader's running mate is voting for Kerry.

I did some searching and I'm not positive, but I think it's Nader's running mate from 2000, not his current running mate, that is voting for Kerry.
( Last edited by BRussell; Oct 15, 2004 at 07:18 PM. )

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 07:09 PM

Here is how you are an "undecided"

Someone calls and makes sure you are of voting age and a US citizen. They then ask if you know who you are going to vote for. You say no. Now you are undecided.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
I did some searching and I'm not positive, but I think it's Nader's running mate from 2000, not his current running mate, that is voting for Kerry.
"Mr. Nader's former running mate, Winona LaDuke, has endorsed Mr. Kerry," according to the NY Times.

Also interesting, from the same article, is some information that directly contradicts the polling data Nader presented on Letterman the other night:

Mr. Nader maintained in the interview "there is no evidence" that he takes votes from Mr. Kerry. He said surveys by Zogby showed him pulling equally from Mr. Bush and Mr. Kerry.

A spokeswoman for Zogby International, Shawnta Walcott, said that Zogby polls showed Mr. Nader drawing far more from Mr. Kerry. She said the polls, aggregated from March through last month, showed that if Mr. Nader was not an option, 41 percent of his supporters went to Mr. Kerry and 15 percent went to Mr. Bush. Thirty percent went elsewhere and 13 percent were undecided.

Forum Links
Forum Rules