Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sleeping problems

Sleeping problems
Thumannator
Apr 18, 2001, 09:51 PM

Has anyone had trouble with their Mac sleeping under 9.1? My Mac will do one of two things. First, if I let it go to sleep on its own, it will wake up again in a matter of a few minutes, sometimes less. Second, if I put my Mac to sleep, it will wake itself back up no more than 30 minutes later, sometimes sooner. When I say that my Mac wakes up, I mean that the hard disk spins back up. The monitor does not turn back on until I push a key or the mouse button.

I once thought I had tracked this problem down to File Sharing being turned on. However, I turned it off and still have this problem.

Thanks for any help,
~Thumannator

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2001, 12:08 AM

Make sure in the energy saver control panel, advanced panel, that everything is unchecked under wake options.

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2001, 10:03 AM

do you have a SCSI card installed? these have been known to have trouble sleeping.

------------------

Thumannator  (op)
Apr 19, 2001, 10:20 AM

I don't have any SCSI cards or SCSI devices. I just have a Rev. B iMac, though it does have the Voodoo2 card in the mezzanine slot. However, I doubt very much that this is causing the problem. It never did before on previous OS's (8.5, 8.6, 9.0.4)...

I will have to check the Advanced Energy Saver control panel, though I am fairly certain that everything is as it should be... Could be wrong. Anyway, it will be a while before I can check as I am at work and the iMac is at home.

~Thumannator

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2001, 12:14 AM

I've had intermittent sleep problems ever since buying my Powermac G4 with OS 9.0.4 installed. The upgrade to 9.1 changed/solved nothing. The problems are:

1. Left alone, it will not go to sleep, except for sometimes. About 1 in 15 to 25 times, my powermac goes to sleep on its own. It happens in phases; once it gets to sleep it works for a few days, then insomnia takes over.

2. Once asleep, it sometimes spontaneously wakes up--but not always. About 1 in every 10-15 sleeps, it just wakes up...in seconds, minutes, or hours.

I thought I had this problem tracked down to a control strip module (the enegy saver module). Aboout a week after trashing it the problems returned. So I disabled the control strip extension and trashed it's preferences...no difference.

About a week ago, my powermac started sleeping again. Then after a few days the insomnia returned.

So I live with it. I don't have any idea what the problem is, although it seems to be a very common problem I've never found a TIL on it or anything. It doesn't bother me very much, but it would be a cool feature to have. If anyone has any suggestions, please share.

[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Gregg
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2001, 09:05 AM

The Energy Saver control panel I had with OS 8.1 was garbage. I finally dumped it. Could it be that Apple never improved it for OS 9? I now use MacDim, and have not had one problem with it. I don't know if it is OS 9 compatible.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Paul Dixon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2001, 10:41 AM

Sleeper works great on my G4 9.1 Not only does it actually work as intended but it also logs activity so you can see just exactly is calling the HD to spin up. Altogether better than Energy Saver. Best $25 I ever spent on shareware. Check it out at: http://www.stclairsoft.com/Sleeper/

Forum Links
Forum Rules