Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Application menu and control strip alternatives

Application menu and control strip alternatives
RedJack
Apr 19, 2001, 08:29 PM

OK, I'm looking for an extension/control panel that I lost when I reformatted my hard drive. It put an icon for each open program in the toolbar that you could click on to select. I miss this, anybody know where I can get a new copy?

As to the control strip, I use it just enough to warrant its existence, but it still annoys me to have it taking up space on my iBook's screen, there's just no space to waste, so I need alternatives. Perhaps it can be turned vertical, or maybe a pulldown menu to take its place, any other ideas?

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2001, 11:43 PM

Sounds like TaskMenuBar:
http://home.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html

If not, then this is worth trying out anyways. I'm so ga-ga over this little app that Hugh Kawahara made me his bitch. hehe, not really, but I'm always hoeing around for his little creation.

I really wish Apple had been able to figure out something this good for OS X. TMB is so far superior to the Dock it may as well be from Star Trek. It's always visible, always out of the way, and the coolest part is that when you switch and want to hide, say, for the finder, you just double-click and TMB does the switcheroo/hidden thing at the same time! 15 years and Apple never thought of this! Well it's almost as good as freeze-dried dogsh!t....I suppose it won't do EVERYTHING you need, but it's the perfect supplement to the Apple menu.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2001, 05:41 AM

Thanks, Homo Sapien Dude!

I was looking for a way to put the Control Strip and Application Switcher in the menu bar!

There are many, many bugs, though.

Starting up is REALLLY SLOOOW.
"Long" control strip modules don't work (Battery Meter).
Certain CSMs only work if the CS is enabled (Keychain Access).
Certain CSMs don't work at all (FaxControl).
Some CSMs crash the whole computer (QuitCSM).
If you click on the clock in the menu bar to display the date, some icons are obscured, and don't come back, then randomly flash on/off in a very annoying way. This may be because I'm running Menuette, but if I want so many CSMs in my menu, Menuette is vital because it greatly saves menubar space.

Also, some features are lacking, like separators.

Other than that, the idea was exactly what I'm looking for. Hope the next revision works out the bugs!
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2001, 06:07 AM

Okay, I read the FAQ and the clock problem occurred because I was using a Theme, and can be fixed by unclicking "Automatic" and moving the whole business to the left. Now I just wish it could show a graph of my battery level!
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

caifara
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2001, 03:14 PM

wow baby, I really like this program!

-c
when I use the sound control strip the entire control strip appears at the bottom of my screen (everything white), do you know what the problem is?
-c

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2001, 07:38 PM

TMB isn't buggy on my system but I don't use any other shareware GUIs and no Kaliedascope themes. If I click on the clock it moves the icons to the left for the date, then back again when the time reappears. It loads fast and all, but I never tried using it with CSMs...sounds interesting though.

Actually I had a bug once, with M$ Powerpoint. But after upgrading to OS 9.1, and updating TMB to the new version for OS 9.1, this bug was resolved.

[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2001, 10:14 PM

Without CSM support, it's already a fantastic program. No more Application Switcher! No more obscured widgets and Photoshop info readouts!

With CSM support, it's absolutely brilliant!!!

This current release was the first release with CSM support, so I'm sure Hugh will gradually work out the bugs...

And he's got dividers on his wish list.

I'll definitely be registering this one.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2001, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
TMB isn't buggy on my system but I don't use any other shareware GUIs and no Kaliedascope themes.
All the bugs seem CSM and theme related. Can't find a single bug that's not.

I don't use Kaleidoscope. I use "Dimple" which is perfect for my TiBook. It's a third-party Apple Appearance Manager theme. (Kaleidoscope sets are called "Schemes".)

Themes are a great thing to have around, though they occasionally do cause slight cosmetic bugs. Unfortunately Apple is trying to kill them once and for all. Dimple was created with help from the Mac Themes Project, which was served with a C&D order from Apple last week. It does not contain a single piece of Apple proprietary art or code, so Apple should f#ck off and let us continue customizing our Macs. Next thing you know, Apple will serve Hugh with a C&D because Steve wants a clean menu bar. What a complete @ss.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

RedJack
Apr 20, 2001, 11:53 PM

Ahhhhh, that's the program Thanks much Homo Sapien. Hmmm, didn't realise it handles control strips, this is something to look at, in the past I'd only used it to replace the application switcher/menu(now if I could just claim back that little bit of space now that its not needed).

Forum Links
Forum Rules