Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Saved over $1000 not ordering from Apple

Saved over $1000 not ordering from Apple
monitorpop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2007, 04:54 PM

Well, a few days ago I was about to hit submit on custom configured Mac Pro at the Apple store when I decided to to a little research here. I'm glad I took the time because it saved me over $1000 in lower cost RAM & HD, Amazon rebate and no sales tax. Here is the breakdown:

From APPLE:
$2499.00 - 2.66 Mac Pro
$ 699.00 - 4GB RAM
$ 658.00 - 2x 500GB hard drives (in addition to 250GB default)
$ 29.00 - Bluetooth
$ 233.10 - Tax
----------
$4118.10 - TOTAL

From 3rd Parties:
$2349.99 - 2.66 Mac Pro (From Amazon w/ $150 rebate)
$ 474.94 - 4GB RAM (From OWC, in addition to 1GB default)
$ 259.98 - 2x 500GB - Western Digital Hard Drives (From New Egg, in addition to 250GB default)
$ 30.00 - Bluetooth (From Fast Mac)
$ 0.00 - Tax
----------
$3114.91 - TOTAL

That is a $1003.19 savings and I get an extra 1GB of RAM, plus the Warranty 3 years on the HD and Life on the RAM. Just thought I would post so other people take a second look at doing the custom configuration on their own. Note: I originally wanted 2 750GB drives but after reading problems with the Seagate 7200.10 I changed my mind.

Links product purchased in case it helps:

Mac Pro
Amazon.com: Apple Mac Pro MA356LL/A Desktop PC (Two 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Processors, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive): Computers & PC Hardware

RAM
Mac Pro Memory - Mac Pro Quad Xeon Memory, Mac Pro 8-Core Xeon Memory DDR2 667MHz Fully Buffered 240 Pin DIMM PC5300 Upgrades at OtherWorldComputing.com

Hard Drive:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Bluetooth:
FastMac | Product - Bluetooth, Live Wirelessly

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2007, 05:14 PM

You're a very smart person.

Madrag
Senior User
Apr 18, 2007, 05:37 PM

congrats!

Yep, apple usually is more expensive...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2007, 06:29 PM

So's tax. Not paying tax on a $3000 to $4000 system really helps.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

monitorpop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2007, 06:40 PM

I didn't mind paying a little more for the convenience but I never expected such a large premium.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2007, 10:54 PM

For me it is cheaper to buy direct from Apple (at least for the base system and FCS2). But then again I am eligible for education discounts.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
For me it is cheaper to buy direct from Apple (at least for the base system and FCS2). But then again I am eligible for education discounts.
Everybody is eligible for education discounts.

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2007, 08:03 AM

I don't think everybody is eligible. You have to submit university registration or faculty ID info here in Japan. Isn't it the same everywhere?

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2007, 08:15 AM

Nice man... but I just like to buy from apple I dont know why I just do...

toobiloo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2007, 07:06 PM

Thats cool, but what do you do if you want to get the upgraded ATI x1900xt? Amazon doesn't seem to allow the upgrade.

j03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2007, 09:06 PM

Thats good, but your missing one thing!

APPLECARE , hate to lose a motherboard in that thing

monitorpop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by toobiloo View Post
Thats cool, but what do you do if you want to get the upgraded ATI x1900xt? Amazon doesn't seem to allow the upgrade.
You can still get that from a 3rd party such as MacMall for less than $400. Yes that is $150 more than doing through Apple but the $150 Amazon rebate covers that and your still ahead $233 in tax, plus any other upgrades you want. Plus you might be able to sell the default video card on eBay.

monitorpop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by j03 View Post
Thats good, but your missing one thing!

APPLECARE , hate to lose a motherboard in that thing
I'm tempted by the piece of mind, but they sell them for a reason and that is because the majority of people cash in less than they paid. Of course the logic board could go out and cost me $750 but the chances are slim. Even if I had a major issue it would equal out since I didn't buy AppleCare on my last three Macs and never had a problem.

Besides, I still have a year to change my mind.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2007, 09:32 PM

Tax is the biggest savings ordering from not-Apple. RAM from anyone else saves a sh*tload. If you are willing to do the shopping around, you can save a lot of a pricey system.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2007, 09:42 PM

Of course not paying the taxes on your online purcheses is a crime but that doesn't seem to bother some people.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2007, 09:50 PM

Uh…what? If you're not subject to any sales tax, how is not paying it a crime?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2007, 09:50 PM

Depends. In oregon there is no sales tax

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2007, 10:41 PM

Companys are only allowed to charge tax if they have stores in your state. If they dont have a physical store then no tax applies.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 06:57 AM

Correct, thats why your supposed to file with the state and pay the tax yourself. NH has no sales tax either. MA cops routinely bust people at the border for illegally importing things like alcohol into MA.

jcee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2007, 03:40 PM

In canada, you are stuck from buying either apple or retail...who wants retail...?

You can try ebay, but usually involves heavy duties/taxes/etc...

toobiloo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2007, 09:23 AM

What about a refurbished macpro? The base models are $100 cheaper than a similar new Macpro w/ the education discount. Is it worth the $100 for a new mac or are the refurbs as good as new, and I'll forget someone else had it as soon as I turn it on?
Also, if I get the MacPro with 1gb of ram and then get a 2gb kit, can I install all 3gb of ram and still have matched sets?

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by toobiloo View Post
What about a refurbished macpro?
Also, if I get the MacPro with 1gb of ram and then get a 2gb kit, can I install all 3gb of ram and still have matched sets?
My first Mac was a refurb G5 iMac, and have had no problems [hears sound of knocking on wood], but for a $100, I'd get a new machine...

I'm running 3 GB: 2 x 1GB sticks on one tier, stock 2 x 512 sticks on t'other...

WRT saving some $$$ on AppleCare: you CAN buy AppleCare from 3rd party dealers. Apple even has two different part numbers for the AC cds, though they are identical. I have bought AC twice now (paid $100 each time for a PM and MP AppleCare) from King Pawn - Serving Southern Maryland and Washington, DC and NO I do not work for them... The last time I bought AC from them, the key had been used or hacked, but they simply replaced it for me immediately and provided another key over the phone which worked.

DJG3
Apr 28, 2007, 04:56 AM

nice, i just did the same thing on a similar spec
~DJG3

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 07:49 AM

I recently had a G5 tower go down hard and the price to replace the parts replaced
would have been $3000.

It's actually down again so I need to call them again but if I had to pay $3k for
a repair I would have been out of business and back to my G4 and would have had
to sell the carcass of the G5 on ebay or something.

Applecare = well worth it.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Apr 28, 2007 at 07:49 AM. Reason: grammatical)

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 08:09 PM

All my purchases have extended warranties when I use my VISA card.

Awesome.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

wyatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
Between not having to pay $200 in sales tax (Ca.) and a $200 Amazon rebate, I got my base system for less $200 than the education discount would have gotten me. Plus, Amazon had to ship it overnight for $5 because they gave me a free Prime membership.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
May 5, 2007, 05:39 AM

Presumably, the new G5 was purchased with the stock video card?

I'm not sure if it's cheaper to buy stock, and then buy the XT and drop that video card inside. The stock card will be written off as a loss and probably harder to sell? That's sadly what happened with my macbook 256 dimms.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

schalliol
Mac Elite
May 6, 2007, 02:43 PM

Another choice: Get an account rep at CDW/MacWarehouse and have them build you one to order from Apple. I've got a great account manager there, and she helped me get the Mac Pro noted below with a Adobe CS3 Design Premium bundle which improved the savings further (Notice how I do have the AE and BT options). Buy anything they sell and they'll install it for you too (not that it's tough in a Mac Pro). This works better if you're a small/large business, but it should work for consumers too.

I believe that CDW does charge tax in all states that have sales tax. If you get audited and you have a Mac Pro sitting there that's clearly been purchased recently, that would be a giveaway. I read something in WIRED recommending that people watch out for this with expensive HD sets.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules