Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Path Issue in Illustrator CS

Path Issue in Illustrator CS
greenamp
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 02:23 PM

I have this really annoying issue on my home workstation. When working segments of a path that I want to be perfectly straight, it's damn near impossible sometimes to get a perfect line. Anchor points will be lined up perfectly and the segment will appear razor sharp, but when I release it almost always falls off again.

Now the thing is, this only happens at my home computer, and nowhere else. Happens on both mouse and tablet. Could it be an issue with having USB Overdrive installed? maybe something else?

chirpy22
Apr 28, 2006, 01:06 PM

You could try taking your mouse to a different computer to verify. Not really sure why it would happen. It would be nice, though, if Adobe added an Align Point feature to Illustrator like FreeHand has. Smart Guides are no substitute for it.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
I have this really annoying issue on my home workstation. When working segments of a path that I want to be perfectly straight, it's damn near impossible sometimes to get a perfect line. Anchor points will be lined up perfectly and the segment will appear razor sharp, but when I release it almost always falls off again.

Now the thing is, this only happens at my home computer, and nowhere else. Happens on both mouse and tablet. Could it be an issue with having USB Overdrive installed? maybe something else?
Hi Greenamp

Here are a few suggestions to try:

1. In Preferences>Type & Auto Tracing, Set tolerance in Auto Trace Options to 0.
2. Try using the Direct Selection Tool (white arrow) and the Transform pallet (Window>Transfrom). Click on the anchor points of the line one at a time and match and enter the X or Y position for each in the transform window.
3. To create horzontal, 45º or vertical lines, use the pen tool (vs. the line segment tool) hold down the shift key and release AFTER you've clicked point to point.

Hope this is of help.

W2

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2006, 01:48 AM

it seems you can force a curved line segment to become straight but using the convert ancher tool (that looks like ^ ) by clicking on the anchors - sometimes It doesn't work the way I want it too tho , so you might need to experiment.
ππ>_<ππ

Forum Links
Forum Rules