Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Is my system English (US) or English (Intl)?

Is my system English (US) or English (Intl)?
Sam Venning
Apr 23, 2001, 10:36 PM

For many years Apple identified which version of the Mac OS (US English or International-English) was installed by listing it in "About This Computer".

English (US-English) was, for example, "System 7.6.1"
English (International-English) was, for example "System Z-7.6.1"

Now that QuickTime 5.0.1 is released... on the installer download page (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone/) Apple states...

"Please note that the US download should only be used with US versions of Mac OS."

On my computer "About This Computer" states "Mac OS 9.0.4" yet some of the extension items are "Mac OZ Z-9.0". Is my Mac OS US-English or International-English and will installing QuickTime 5.0.1 (US English) cause problems on my Mac (if it is indeed the International-English version of the Mac OS)?

I wish Apple would clear this up.

Sam Venning
Melbourne, Australia
[email protected]

DocWest
Senior User
Apr 24, 2001, 12:49 AM

If you open your System Folder and get info on Finder or System that should tell you.
The international version will have Z1-9.1 or something similar.

I would go by whatever version your System file is.
If it says Z- then wait for the international quicktime installer(sometime in may).

-docwest

Cipher13
Apr 24, 2001, 02:38 AM

I recommend you install a US system... this can be accomplished by using a US system updater on your international system.

Takes a bit of sidestepping, but it works.

If you want instructions, I can tell you how to do it... I've done it before. When I accidentally downloaded the 9.1 US update... there was no way I was waiting for the Intl vers, so with a bit of mucking around, it updated. Not so hard if you wanna try it.

------------------

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2001, 01:33 PM

Yes! How do you do it, cipher?

Of course I'll have to wait for 9.2, because 9.1 updater won't run on my TiBook...

[This message has been edited by tonton (edited 04-24-2001).]
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules