Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Radius 8100, how to open?

Radius 8100, how to open?
DOSorphan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2001, 04:59 AM

Howdy folks,
I have a Radius 8100/110 with a dead CD drive. I'd love to replace this drive if only I could figure out how to get the front off. Must I disassemble the whole computer just to remove a drive carrier?
Thanx

------------------
Captain Analogue
Captain Analogue

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2001, 04:09 PM

Basically, yes.

The Radius is a clone of the 8100. The way you get the top off is fairly simple. There are four large screws on the back plate that have to be loosened (should be captive).

Once they are loose, grasp both sides of the unit and pull firmly forward. When the case is halfway off, lift the case directly up.

To reinstall the case, do the same in reverse.

The CD-ROM will be mounted to a sled on sliders in the front bay. Lift up on the tab and the whole unit can be pulled out after the connections are undone.

drewman

DOSorphan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 12:47 AM

Thanx drewman,
I did that, but the Radius case is different. It has a side panel which removes for adding RAM or cards, and I could only manage to move the case forward a bit after removing the screws at the rear. Anyway, it was much simpler: the whole front panel snaps off. At first, I was afraid to pry too hard or force it, but I saw no other way. No harm done, the insides needed cleaning anyway.

------------------
Captain Analogue
Captain Analogue

Forum Links
Forum Rules