Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Server Side Includes

Server Side Includes
RGB
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2002, 01:58 AM

I am trying to enable Server Side Includes on my OS X webserver, but they just won't work. I uncommented :

AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

and then even threw in Options +Includes as well. Server still isn't parsing calls in .shtml files. I have tried the XBitHack. I also couldnt get MySql to configure properly, but that is not my concern right now. Has anyone had success with SSI on OS X, and what can I do to make this work?

hotani
Senior User
Feb 20, 2002, 02:29 AM

dumb question, but did you restart the webserver? what happens when you attempt to load a page with ssi?
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

foamy
Senior User
Feb 20, 2002, 03:04 AM

You could use PHP includes instead.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier> &lt;?php include <font color = red>"path to include"</font> ?&gt; </font>[/code]

I think that's the syntax...tired. Since all my pages are PHP I just parse .html pages and don't ever use the PHP extension.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2002, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by foamy:
<STRONG>Since all my pages are PHP I just parse .html pages and don't ever use the PHP extension.</STRONG>
All mine are PHP too. I thought about just parsing .html but I like .php and I think it makes more sense anyway.

Sam Venning
Mar 29, 2002, 01:03 AM

I can't get Server Side Includes (SSI) working on MacOS 10.1.3 Client either. Does anyone have any tips? Is it simply a matter of editing "httpd.conf" file? (By the way... I've got PHP working just fine - great). Thanks.

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 29, 2002, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>All mine are PHP too. I thought about just parsing .html but I like .php and I think it makes more sense anyway.</STRONG>
Excuse my igonorance in this area but what is the advantage/difference of html to PHP?
Thankyouverymuch.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

goatnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2002, 09:52 AM

I got SSI to work after I read an article on Oreilly.net, which worked for me. YMMV, but it worked fine when I tried a few pages. I did dump it though for MySQL and PHP.

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: goatnet ]

They laughed at my Mac, it had no CLI. They laughed at Linux, it had no GUI. I installed MacOS X, and shut them up.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2002, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
<STRONG>Excuse my igonorance in this area but what is the advantage/difference of html to PHP?
Thankyouverymuch.</STRONG>
If you're talking about just using the file extension .html vs. .php, then the only advantage is that people won't know you're using PHP. Some companies think that they get a "competitive edge" if people don't know the system that they are using. The same thing happens a lot with WebObjects, which has a surprisingly high marketshare, but you wouldn't know it because companies don't often tell people they're using it (The U.S. Postal Service actually powers their whole intranet with it, to give one example).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules