Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Audio problems

Audio problems
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2001, 04:16 PM

I shall explain the case. I have my iMac linked to the AUX IN ports from my Stereo set. Today my brother wanted to lend the link cable and so plugged out the cable.

Big was my surprise when my OS Xie crashed. It showed op DOSsy texts like kernel error (or something like that) with lots of numbers and letters after it and in the next lines there was something said about some audio stuff that it is involved with and so.

is this a know bug? Ever seen it?
My bro plugged it out at the stereo when it happened. It has happened two times!
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2001, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Jerommeke:
<STRONG>is this a know bug? Ever seen it?
</STRONG>
Wait - your OS X is crashing (kernel panic) when you pull the 1/8" audio plug out of the Mac's output jack?

I do this all the time (I have my iMac hooked up to a mixer), and have *never* seen this problem.

Are you sure the kernel panics are directly related to pulling the plug? Is it reproducible?

-chris.

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2001, 02:45 AM

i have a link cable that has one plug at imac's side, and one red and one white plug at the stseros side.

he plugged out the plugs at the stereo side, while the ones at mac side were still connected.

the error occurred 2 times, coz first time he plugged it out and then plugged in it seeing what he had done

the 2nd time was when i rebooted and it showed up he had put one of the plugs into the wrong port at the stereo.

it seems quite sensible i guess, he plugged them in during the start-up process rightly and there was no sound at all... after a reboot everything was ok again

if i get the error again sometime i'll write all the stuff down it said, k?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2001, 06:42 AM

that's very strange...

yeah, best thing is to write down those two or three lines of code that appear and submit them to Apple via their Mac OS X Feedback page with this description of what you were doing.

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2001, 07:29 AM

on the mac it was doing very different things, not something specific after which it occurred.

it was about i guess 10 or 15 lines of code...

MinivanH8R
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2001, 04:48 PM

I have found a similar problem with my Dual 533. If I plug my headphones or speakers into the built in headphone jack while the Mac is booting up, it causes an immediate kernel panic. I did this twice, and am making sure I never do it again.

Note that if I plug it in after it has booted up, I have no problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules