Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I want to install OS X, what to do?

I want to install OS X, what to do?
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 10:29 AM

Hello people,

I shall explain the whole case. I have an iMac Indigo 500 Mhz Slotloading early 2001. Now I really am fed up with the constant crashes in OS 9.2.1, I have decided to go to OS X, now that 10.1 seems to be usable for example in speed, which OS X's previous editions weren't. I currently have no partitions on my hard disk, and 1 system folder, 9.2.1 that has already been used frequently. 20 GB is my hard disk, and I now got about 10 GB free.

What do you advise me to do?
- 1 partition (1. OS X and 9.2.1)
- 2 partitions (1. OS X, 2. 9.2.1)
- 3 partitions (1. OS X, 2. 9.2.1 (used by Classic), 3. 9.2.1 (not used by Classic)

I guess it's also preferable if I start with a clean hard disk, isn't it?
So I can burn everything necessary on CD's, and then erase the disk, and make it 1, 2 or 3 partitions, first install OS 9.1 1 or 2 times, update those 1 or 2 to 9.2.1, and then install OS X 1 time. (as above)
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

ntsc
Senior User
Nov 2, 2001, 01:14 PM

TO be honest imho one partition is sufficient if you are going to be using X pretty much full-time. However if you are going to have to do some heavy Classic work then you might want to have Classic on a separate partition. If you are going to be in Classic the majority of the time the last set up might be right for you.

What do i have? 1 partition but i'm in X full time so Classic isn't such a big thing for me except for the odd app.

Hope this helps
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 01:50 PM

I don't know coz I have not really worked with it, but I guess my main work will be in OS X as the applications I know use the most (ICQ, MSN, Audion) are also available for OS X
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

malvolio
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2001, 02:48 PM

I started out with both on one partition, but soon separated 9 and X onto trwo partitions. This allows me to use the Option key to select which OS to use at boot-up, enables me to boot up in either of the partitions to do repairs on the other, and to have a "safety net" if disaster hits either system.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Scrod
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 03:43 PM

Don't waste your time trying to back up your files and partition your drive. It's simply not needed. Using one partition for both OS X and OS 9 is 100% okay. There will be NO problems whatsoever keeping everything on one partition.
I abused my signature until she cried.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 03:53 PM

i'd create a seperate partition of about 500mb to use as the swap disc. it'll give X a dedicated partition for virtual memory and stop the swapfile getting fragmented. in my experience it makes for less spinning rainbows altho' otherwise it disnae seem to speed things up to any noticeable degree.

i also have a seperate partition for my users. this means i can keep all my work and stuff seperate from the system and apps. mind you this is more a convenience thing when it comes to backing up rather than a performance tweak.

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Nov 2, 2001, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>I started out with both on one partition, but soon separated 9 and X onto trwo partitions. This allows me to use the Option key to select which OS to use at boot-up, enables me to boot up in either of the partitions to do repairs on the other, and to have a "safety net" if disaster hits either system.</STRONG>
I did this too, and I'm starting to suspect it might be causing a lot of instability in my OS X install. Also, the option key thing is a valid point, but I find that booting one partition to repair the other is only for if paranoia hits, not disaster. If something really did go wrong with your disk, chances are neither partition would run the OS reliably. I've found a much better solution for a "safety net" is to burn my whole OS 9 partition to CD, then run any utilities from there (boot from the CD)
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2001, 04:05 PM

I use one partition for OS X and OS 9. If you really need 2 partitions, install a "Classic ready" version of 9 on your OS X partition to boot with. You may as well take advantage of the situation.

You shouldn't need to format your HD just to install OS X.

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 05:50 PM

I am just wanting to erase it, coz it's full of all rubbish and so

hmm

so
- 1 partition with OS X and OS 9.2.1 as classic
- 1 partition with OS 9.2.1

how big should I make those disks then?

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2001, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Jerommeke:
<STRONG>I am just wanting to erase it, coz it's full of all rubbish and so

hmm

so
- 1 partition with OS X and OS 9.2.1 as classic
- 1 partition with OS 9.2.1

how big should I make those disks then?</STRONG>
You don't necessarily need 9.2.1 on both partitions. If you choose to have two partitions, one OS 9 system folder is all you need to run classic or to boot into 9.

I have a 30 GB drive and I partitioned in the following manner:

- 1 partition (90%) with OS X.1, main HD with all apps, files, etc.
- 1 partition (10%) with OS 9.2.1, and its original app set
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2001, 06:22 PM

The main reason I can think of to have two partitions and two versions of OS 9 is if you still have lots of third party extensions in a heavily customized system. Classic seems happier with a clean, bare-bones version of 9.

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 07:42 PM

i do have a heavily customized system nowadays, some people call it heavy if they see it

but I guess I will not use 9.2.1 too much, so there seems to be no problemo

Whisper
Nov 2, 2001, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Ron Goodman:
<STRONG>The main reason I can think of to have two partitions and two versions of OS 9 is if you still have lots of third party extensions in a heavily customized system. Classic seems happier with a clean, bare-bones version of 9.</STRONG>
You can tell classic to only load certain extensions, so that's not really an issue.
-Whisper

dirmania
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2001, 10:39 PM

That's my way
Hope it might help..
HD: 40G
Partition: 4
1. OSX10.1
2. OS9.2.1
3. Data
4. Backup

I'd at least make it as three partition(The forth one is not that necessary depends on your HD space)

Coz my X needs to be on the 1st partition.
so i put the classic on the 2nd.

Strongly suggesting U could left one partition for dumping your works..
and not within the sys folder.It's also good for memory swap too.As the fello above mentioned....

GOOD LUCK!

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: dirmania ]
[+DIRMANIA+]

Forum Links
Forum Rules