Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Getting a iPod - anything I should do?

Getting a iPod - anything I should do?
Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 3, 2002, 04:13 AM

Hi.
I'm getting my iPod 10 GB tomorrow. I have read somewere, that you should try getting your hands all warm and sweady and do something, but I can't remember what. Or have I been mistaking?

Can't wait for tomorrow...

Jens Peter

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2002, 06:04 PM

Well, I've heard of a few uses for "warm and sweaty" hands, but none of them mentioned an iPod.
More seriously, perhaps you heard something about how moist hands can disrupt the solid-state scroll wheels on the new iPods?

pdot
Senior User
Sep 3, 2002, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Jens Peter:
Hi.
I'm getting my iPod 10 GB tomorrow. I have read somewere, that you should try getting your hands all warm and sweady and do something, but I can't remember what. Or have I been mistaking?

Can't wait for tomorrow...

Jens Peter

First, make sure you have a computer. Second, make sure you have songs on it to transfer over. If you're missing either one, you'll be pissed when your iPod arrives. Oh, you may want to d/l some software like the xPod, etc., just in case.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2002, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by pdot:

First, make sure you have a computer. Second, make sure you have songs on it to transfer over. If you're missing either one, you'll be pissed when your iPod arrives. Oh, you may want to d/l some software like the xPod, etc., just in case.
I got my 10GB iPod on last Wednesday, it will be my "hand warmer" during Winter. Anyway, like "pdot" said; also you may experience some problem on 10.2 and iPod.
Sometimes, I couldn't get iTunes 3 to launch and auto-sync even thought the iPod was mounted.

Kenneth

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 08:30 PM

the first thing you should do is testing your battery life because a lot of people do not get apple claimed 10 hour battery out of the new ipod.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2002, 10:09 PM

I got my 20Gb iPod last week, and have had absolutely flawless performance, using Jaguar and iTunes 3! I love this thang! It does tend to get very warm when charging and transferring files, though!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Jens Peter  (op)
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 05:42 AM

A computer you say? I'm not quite sure what that is....

Just got my iPod - but I'm at work so it have to sit on my desk for an nother hour until my break....

I think it was that about the moist hands and the wheel. xPod? Okay.

Thank for the replys

Jens Peter

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2002, 09:41 PM

works flawlessly with jag and itunes 3 - I recommend a protective case or cover (I like using a write-right plastic palm screen cover over the ipod screen - it tends to pick up scratches really easily. If you get one early, you will protect before you scratch - or who cares, its gonna scratch - just enjoy. Also push your remote plug in tight, otherwise you will think it doesn't work...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Jens Peter  (op)
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 03:00 AM

I haven't got X.2 yet, but it works like a dream with iTunes anyway. I have a little bag of microfiber from my old MiniDisc as I use, but I guess that's just in the beginning - sooner or later I will have it in by pocket, and it will get scratches...
Yes, I have read about the remote plug - wasent a problem...

/Jens Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules