Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X on original iMac (Bondi Blue)

OS X on original iMac (Bondi Blue)
cdr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2002, 10:35 AM

I've just been given an original bondi blue iMac, and the plan is to run OS X... but it still has the original 32Mb (?) RAM - so I'll need to invest in maybe 256Mb RAM, and the OS, before I even start.

So, my question is: it is worth spending the money, i.e. how poor is the performance going to be? Apple include the original iMac in their OS X 'compatibility list' but I'm not entirely convinced...

Thanks,

Chris

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 16, 2002, 10:45 AM

I think if it were me, I would hold off until I could get a newer machine. It might run okay, but I don't think it would be worth investing the money in RAM and the OS, when you could get both with a new machine. If you can still run all the programs you need under OS9, I would stick with that for the time being. Just MHO, of course

me
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2002, 11:18 AM

I haven't seen Jag on a bondi iMac, but 10.1.5 was pretty slow. You'd definitely need the 256, but even then you might just be happier putting 128 in and running OS9 - it will be faster.

zeller
Sep 16, 2002, 11:47 AM

Hey there,

I had an original iMac running 10.1.5 at work. It was maxed out ram-wise and I had all the graphic features on OS X turned off. It was slow but stable. I considered that better than the sort of fast but not at all stable experience under OS 9.

My rule of thumb is - if you are spending more time restarting and troubleshooting under OS 9 than you will waiting for OSX to do its thing, then it is time to upgrade. Stability vs. Speed. I went with stability. Your milieage will vary.

Ben

p.s. I've not tried Jag on anything, original iMac or otherwise.

The Dude
Banned
Sep 16, 2002, 02:22 PM

Jaguar on an iMac Rev.B is actually quite nice. It's no speed demon, but you won't spend any time twiddling your thumbs either. Just make sure to max out the RAM, and you'll be okay.

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2002, 07:09 PM

I've got Jag running on a 233MHz Bondi Blue (rev B, I think?).

As others have said it is slow, but useable. It depends on what applications you want to run. If you into simple word processing with something like AppleWorks, you'll be okay, but for anything CPU intensive, you may find it too frustrating.

Put in as much RAM as the machine will hold... it makes a lot of difference. I've got 256 MB in mine, and I think that's just enough.

NB: I don't use this as my primary machine... it is mostly just a web server these days. However, it was my primary machine for a while with version 10.1

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2002, 07:23 PM

I'm using 10.2 on my Bondi iMac with 256MB RAM, but I upgraded the CPU to 500MHz. It works better than the 10.1.5, but I can say iChat slow the iMac real bad. Most of the time, I'm running Mozilla, ICQ, iChat, and Entourage at the same time. RAM price just drops, but if I were you I will add at least a 128MB and run 9.1. Meanwhile, you wrote that "I've just been given an original bondi blue iMac...original 32Mb (?) RAM", so I assumed that it is still running the stock 8.1, 2MB SGRAM, and 4GB HDD.
It's not worth it to upgrade it now, unless you want to make the Bondi sounds powerful and wel-equipped.

Kenneth

Forum Links
Forum Rules