Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problems with a FW Disk (Erasing?)

Problems with a FW Disk (Erasing?)
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2002, 09:05 AM

Well, I bought a FW Disk, the one listed in my signature, and it was a happy living together. However, I did something I should never have done. Run Norton Disk Doctor on it (or Disk Corrupter, Disk Screwer, etcetera). Since then Disk Utility refuses to check it because it hasn't got enough permissions.

So I backed it up on a lot of CDRW's, and opened Disk Utility to erase it. However,
Disk Utility even doesn't want to erase it. I tried every single way of erasing: erasing the disk, erasing the device, all with to me logical combinations of owner and group. However, alas. It is still not erased.

Then I thought, oh, Mac OS 9 might do the job. When booting from the 9.1 CD with my computer, it showed up my drive in the Finder, however Disk Utility of OS 9 wouldn't erase it, because it doesn't support it.

Ok, I now know nothing to do anymore to get rid of the rubbish Symantec created on my drive. How to erase this thing? Any suggestions?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 10:57 AM

anyone?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 11:38 AM

Have you tried to check and maybe repair it with Diskwarrior?

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2002, 03:12 AM

Ok, yesterday I came home, and I tried DiskWarrior. However, the fact that I am running OS X only caused me so much pain in my ass to open it, it wouldn't succed.

After having a system folder on my boot disk which was OS 9, next to OS 10.2.1 my computer wouldn't want to start-up. CD's with 9-systems wouldn't see my boot volume.

Disk Utility of OS 9 still says it does not support it, and the Finder in OS 9 would erase it, but this has no effect on OS X 10.2 behaviour.

Now I put in my 10.1 install disc, and tryed to erase my FW disk from there, but then something strange is happening. After erasing the OS X 10.1 Disk Utility stated the volume is OK, but OS X 10.2 says it hasn't got permission.

Now the question is; is anyone with a FW-disk running OS X 10.2.1 able to Disk First Aid his system?

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 19, 2002, 05:57 PM

since you have it all backed up, here's something to try - it involves totally erasing the drive.
go to the terminal. type "mount" (without the quotes) and a list of mounted volumes should come up. your firewire drive should be there (an example from my computer):

/dev/disk2s9 on /Volumes/five (local)

(i named the drive "five" because it's a 5 gig.. boring, i know)
now you get to write zeros to the drive from beginning to end. use this command:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/diskN
(where N is the number from "mount" - for example, i would use 2. the "s9" part is slice 9, a term that BSD uses for what we usually call partitions).
the computer will now write zeros to the drive until it runs out of space. you'll be given some message like "device out of space" or something. now try disk utility to repartition/format the drive so that it has OS drivers so it'll be usable.
good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules