Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Force Feedback in 10.2.3....

Force Feedback in 10.2.3....
Footy
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2002, 09:23 PM

Hey Edwin,

You notice anything different with the 10.2.3 and your Logitech Force Feedback wheel?

Let us know!

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 20, 2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Footy:
Hey Edwin,

You notice anything different with the 10.2.3 and your Logitech Force Feedback wheel?

Let us know!

Ummm...he knows. Where were you when we had this discussion about 2 weeks ago?

HamSandwich
Dec 20, 2002, 12:36 PM

Lol, it is rather likely that Feral has Force Feedback working for quite some time if they are already having the update for F1 out.

Steve

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:

Ummm...he knows. Where were you when we had this discussion about 2 weeks ago?
Does he? Do you know? Otherwise let Edwin answer for himself.

Last thing I read Edwin was using a Logitech force feedback wheel that wasn't officially Mac supported and though it worked, he was waiting for 10.2.3 to add force feedback to OSX. So, even though you may have gotten the answer you wanted, I haven't. I've been following the discussion pretty close since NASCAR Racing was announced on Dec 4th. If I've missed something and you can answer my question then please do, but don't bother with a "one liner" insult.

So maybe you have a link you could add to your post with the answer because I've obviously missed it.

Thanks.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 10:20 AM

You will need the force feedback patch from Feral's Website.

Direct Link here.

Btw yes I have had the force-feedback patch for a month or so now as I work for Feral.

Cheers Edwin

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by edddeduck:
You will need the force feedback patch from Feral's Website.

Direct Link here.

Btw yes I have had the force-feedback patch for a month or so now as I work for Feral.

Cheers Edwin
Hello Edwin,

Actually I was just interested in how your unsupported Logitech force feedback wheel was working. I'm the guy that was looking at buying the Logitech MOMO Racing wheel with FF. The NASCAR Racing 2002 simulation I have on order already has FF in it so I"m set in that respect.

I read on another site that Logitech is working on OSX specific wheels that will be out soon, which comfirms what Logitech said to me in an email sent a couple weeks ago.

I'm just a bit overly excited about the whole racing sim thing and if I could get a the PC Logitech MOMO Racing wheel to work I'd run out and buy it now rather than wait, who knows how long, for the OSX version to come out.

Anyway, thanks for the responce.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2002, 11:28 AM

Feral and I have worked hard over the last year to make sure we had force feedback in F1 2000. The reason it has taken a long time is everyone had to decide the best way to impliment it.

Apple decided to write API for Force Feedback which we have been involved in since an early beta stage. Logitech and other vendors then I understand will, test their FF devices with this API.

The advantage of this is all games companies will have FF available in their games without having to get driver support as Apples API handles this for them.

So F1 2000 now and Nascar once released will support FF.

As I have not seen Nascar I cannot comment officially but I presume they had similar input to Apple as we did and the wheels that work in F1 2000 will work in Nascar.

I would recommend the F1 GP wheel as I have been using this one during the testing proceedure and it has been nothing but realiable and solid.

As the MOMO wheel is the same company I would assume it will work but I have not personally tested it.

(btw as of the patch the logitech GP is supported with FF.)

Cheers Edwin

p.s. The comments are my own thoughts not Edwin Smith employee of Feral so don't take anything as offical statement more my understanding of what is going on.

ddregs
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2002, 04:30 AM

Edwin, I'd like to thank Feral and you for porting F1.2000 Championship to the Mac platform.
I was eagerly waiting for this game, and immediately bought it. I am very satisfied with it, the graphics, the animations.
Only thing I am still wondering (and Feral is not part of this game) now is whether I will be able to use my AirStick game controller. No driver for OS X yet, I don't know if MacAlly will ever release them.
I find companies have been very slow at releasing drivers for OS X for their game controllers. Other than this I am very happy with OS X games.
Cheers
Attention, Roland V-Drums drummer here....

Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2002, 11:53 PM

Footy:

very interested too. i just saw the Momo wheel (logitech) at CompUsa. it was set up on one of those working displays. awesome wheel! arcade-quality...strongest yet! and at only $99, pretty reasonable i thought. i would love to use it with my mac.

keep us posted. thanls.
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by Robster1958:
Footy:

very interested too. i just saw the Momo wheel (logitech) at CompUsa. it was set up on one of those working displays. awesome wheel! arcade-quality...strongest yet! and at only $99, pretty reasonable i thought. i would love to use it with my mac.

keep us posted. thanls.

Logitech is supposed coming out with a new MOMO Racing wheel specificly for OSX!!! I wish they would just tell me the only real difference is going be the price already so I could go out an buy the PC version.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 06:06 PM

Footy:

keep us posted. thanls.
Hey Rob,

Take note of the compatible wheels at the bottom of this page at Apple's site! I'm going to get one tonight!
http://www.apple.com/games/articles/...ar/index2.html

Also, I've checked a couple web sites and it looks like NASCAR Racing 2002 is has shipped since they have it in stock. Even though it's still listed as being in dublication (and pre-order status) over at the Aspyr site. I ordered mine direct so I hope it's on it's way.

Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2002, 11:22 PM

i'll be right behind you!!
i hope it works as advertised.

pls. post asap
Rob

16 Gig iPod Touch

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 11:56 PM

i'll be right behind you!!
i hope it works as advertised.

pls. post asap
Hey Rob,

I went to CompUSA tonight and checked out the display. I'm now thinking of getting the WingMan� Formula� Force GP since it's a touch smaller, so it'll fit my tiny desk a bit better. I have the Logitech wheel for Game Cube and I like it a lot. The WingMan� Formula� Force GP is just like it so I think I'll go that route. Also, someplace online had a price watch page that had this one at K-Mart online for 10 bucks less. $59.99 isn't to bad.

Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2002, 12:44 PM

Footy:
I have the Logitech FF wheel for the PS2..forget what's it's called, but similar in construction to the wingman i think....and it was $99 when it first came out (!!).

while this is def. a good wheel, let me strongly suggest the extra bucks for the new MOMO wheel. the cheaper wheel has a little too much "slack" for my tastes.

now my only demo of the momo was for five minutes in CompUsa, and given that it was securely bolted to its platform certainly helped.

but the solid heft and strength of the motors was outstanding; as i said, better than the sidewinder..and as good as i've played in arcades.

there was no price on it on the display, and i was sure it was $150, so at $99, it became a (realtive) bargain.
Rob

16 Gig iPod Touch

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2002, 01:46 PM

Footy:
I have the Logitech FF wheel for the PS2..forget what's it's called, but similar in construction to the wingman i think....and it was $99 when it first came out (!!).

while this is def. a good wheel, let me strongly suggest the extra bucks for the new MOMO wheel. the cheaper wheel has a little too much "slack" for my tastes.

now my only demo of the momo was for five minutes in CompUsa, and given that it was securely bolted to its platform certainly helped.

but the solid heft and strength of the motors was outstanding; as i said, better than the sidewinder..and as good as i've played in arcades.

there was no price on it on the display, and i was sure it was $150, so at $99, it became a (realtive) bargain.
Thanks Rob, advise noted. However, like I said I really like the new Game Cube wheel and it's very similar to the GP FF. I'm having a hard time getting over the large footprint of the MOMO and I know my desk setup will not allow for the 3rd clamp on the MOMO wheel. I'll have to go back and do some measureing..

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Dec 31, 2002, 04:19 PM

edddeduck, does the force feedback require the full F2000 game? I have a demo v1.0.1 and 10.2.3 and the feedback option is disabled.

Forum Links
Forum Rules