Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fink and Expect

Fink and Expect
clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2002, 05:00 AM

Has anyone been able to get expect working via Fink? For those not familiar with it, expect is basically a shell scripting language which allows you to interactively control things such as telnet or so forth. It requires TCL and is listed by Fink, but Fink won't install the binary and gives errors while compiling the source.

I'll probably play around with it more tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had worked with it already.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Dec 29, 2002, 03:00 PM

I haven't tried using it, but if you can't get it to work, first make sure you're using the latest packages (fink selfupdate-cvs). If it still doesn't work, ask in irc.freenode.net #fink -- and if they don't know, try emailing the package maintainer directly (fink info [package]).

HTH
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2002, 04:58 PM

I think it may be how TCL is installed on the Mac. I tried downloading original sources manually from the Expect web page and still couldn't get it to work.

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 04:50 AM

The regular methods of Source or Binary don't work at all. You have to select Terminal and Rebuild. However then I get the same error I found when I tried to compile it directly from source. There may be a problem with 10.2.3 and perhaps that is why it isn't in the main Fink tree properly.

I sent a note to the maintainer and hopefully he will get back to me. I'll post the status here since Expect is such a useful utility for control shell programs. When you combine it with Applescript wonderful things can happen.

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 07:55 AM

Well I gave up trying to get Fink to work. I'm sure had I the time I could have compiled it from scratch. But I didn't have time to mess debugging why the header was causing errors.

I did find though that the version of TCL available at Source Forge has a nice package for OSX.

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=16923&db=mac

or

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=124526

When you install TCL it installs Expect as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules