Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook hinges...

TiBook hinges...
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 01:56 AM

After having completely worn out Pismo hinges in about three years, I'm weary about opening and closing my TiBook often. I've become paranoid; I realize that the more I do it, the looser my hinges get. Since my Pismo display won't even stay up on its own anymore, I'd really like to know how decliate my TiBook is in this sense.

Are TiBook hinges as susceptible to wear and loosening as Pismo/Lombard hinges?

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 02:17 AM

I suspect they will loosen with use, but I've had my TiBook for one year, and the hinges have not loosened considerably for me. Opening the lid with one hand will still lift the bottom up off the table, so I'd say my hinges are pretty tight... although I did dismantle the hinges and put them back together, probably tightening them a bit more.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 02:18 AM

Thanks! Someone finally replied to my post.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 02:27 AM

Okay Sean, here's another reply for you.

I don't think you have anything to fret about.

After 2 years of fairly heavy use as my main machine, the hinges on my 500MHz Rev.A TiBook are still fine. They may have loosened up ever so slightly, but still function better than the ones on my Pismo or WallStreet ever did.

No real precautions are necessary, although I consider it best to open and close a wide screen like the one on the TiBook with both hands if you can, using one hand on each side to apply even pressure.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 02:29 AM

I've had my powerbook for approx. 8 months and my hinges are still tight. I still have to use 2 hands to open up the notebook. One to lift the display and the other to keep the base down.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

dur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 02:36 AM

with both my powerbooks, the 550 and the 667dvi, after opening and closing the screen a few times, the edges of the hinge seems to crack open a bit... thus making it a little more loose than it originally was...

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 04:03 AM

Thanks for your help! I feel better about using my PowerBook now.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 04:39 AM

If you would like to customize the tightness of your hinge, there's an option out there. I've heard the engineer/owner speak and he's a real Mac guy.

http://www.radtech.us/tiglide.html

euphras
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 03:54 PM

Quote:
If you would like to customize the tightness of your hinge, there's an option out there. I've heard the engineer/owner speak and he's a real Mac guy.
http://www.radtech.us/tiglide.html

Quote (from the site): "1-2ml synthetic hydrocarbon derivative molecular metal conditioner in fine tipped pipe"

That�s a complete rip-off. 15 $ for two small tools (yeah, i know torx drivers are a li�ll more expensive), a "cellulose pry tool" (you can also call it a piece of pasteboard) and a cheap plastic pipette containing some mineral oil derivated lubricant.

I conditioned my Ti hinges using bicycle chain silicone lubricant and a borowed Torx driver and i can open it without holding back the base unit....cost? 0.0 $ (�)

Pat
( Last edited by euphras; Jan 28, 2003 at 04:21 PM. )

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Thanks for your help! I feel better about using my PowerBook now.

Are you kidding or something? I can't even believe you asked about the hinges. I really am not being sarcastic when I say that I thought that you were the number one expert on TiBooks. In fact if someone elses asked your question, I'd expect you to be the first one to answer. What is going on.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules