Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Processor upgrade... Will my wife kill me?

Processor upgrade... Will my wife kill me?
Footy
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 04:20 PM

Hey Guys,

OK, my Mac is a year and a half old now. I'm running the 867 single but I feel like the time is right to upgrade because I'm not sure that upgrades above 1.2 and this motherboard are going to be anything special. For those of you running Ghz or above what's going to happen with my frame rates in game? I've ordered the 1.2 PowerLogix single card. They just had a price drop to 609.00 at Other World Computing.

I'm sure I'll regret it in a few months when they come out with the next level of cards. My only other option here is the 1.2 dual but I really don't think I could use the 2 processors for most (if not all) of what I do, not to mention they're another 500 bucks and I'm pushing the envelope now at 600.

GF 4 Ti card, gig+ ram

Will my wife kill me? I'm thinking yes, so let's keep this between us.

Thoughts?

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2003, 04:27 PM

I wouldn't have.
That's not a very large upgrade.
Yes, you will see a performance boost. But, it's really not significant.
You really shouldn't be upgrading a CPU like that until you get at least double the performance (note, note MHz, performance), or you have a real need to do it.
Since you've done it, however, you can feel free to send me your current proc
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 05:28 PM

I would have gone with the dual 867 or higher. I have the 867 QS as well and feel is runs fine, but I am not a big gamer. The best upgrade I have made on my machine is a Radeon 8500, more than ample on my machine. I would have loved to get a dual upgrade, and considered it only because I am a Mac Geek (minor ranking at best), but when actual thinking a cost came to play I got a hold of myself. But I would never consider upgrading to a single processor. I hope it gives you what you need. Good luck with it.

Scoo
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 10:18 PM

If you spend more than that on Valentines Day, you may live to upgrade again. For the kind of bread you laid out for the CPU upgrade, you could put together a visit to a spa where she will be pampered, massaged, mud packed, the whole nine yards for 4-6 hours, great dinner, nice hotel with hot tub and champagne.

Let us know how you handle it!
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 12:34 AM

What is this Valentines Day you speak of?

Originally posted by Scoo:
If you spend more than that on Valentines Day, you may live to upgrade again. For the kind of bread you laid out for the CPU upgrade, you could put together a visit to a spa where she will be pampered, massaged, mud packed, the whole nine yards for 4-6 hours, great dinner, nice hotel with hot tub and champagne.

Let us know how you handle it!

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 02:18 PM

OK, I've decided on the dual 1.2. Is that better.

hawiken
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 03:01 AM

you'll never know, 'cause she's gonna kill ya...

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 03:58 AM

I'm going to be upgrading my g4 450 Cube to a single 1.2

i was looking into Dual processor, but i ujst don't have the cash for that.

OreoCookie
Feb 11, 2003, 05:03 AM

Not a sufficient reason to upgrade. Sorry, you've made a mistake IMHO. Should've have till after the release of the next-gen PowerMac.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BobK
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 10:55 AM

Put the money in the bank and plop it down on a G5.
My experience is to save the "upgrade money" for the next machine to come out.
Plus if you are doing this for games, I am going to kill you no matter how fast your CPU is......LOL

mikemako
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 10:37 PM

I would recommend going all the way to the 1.4GHz model. I went into the local Apple store recently and found no noticable difference in the responsiveness of the UI in the 1.2GHz system compared to mine (533MHz DP). I guess that's a big thing I at when I'm judging the speed of a computer.

I then played with the 1.4GHz model:

On it, I opened Photoshop, checked how fast the menu appeared when I right clicked on the "Applications" folder in the dock, and how quickly windows closed when requested, and some other stuff. I noticed a significant difference between the 1.2 model and the 1.4 model.

If I could get a new PowerMac I'd make a stretch and go for the 1.4. What I am actually going to do is wait for the time of the next revision when the 1.4 will drop in price as another machine surpasses it, and I will get the 1.4.

do I say "I" too much?
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

a2daj
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 01:49 AM

I just picked up a PowerLogix Dual 1.2 upgrade for my Quicksilver 867 and I love it. All the PowerLogix Dual 1.2s are actually dual 1.3s (or 1.333s with the 133 version). It was a nice little surprise bonus

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2003, 03:51 PM

I would never spend that much on a CPU card...

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003, 05:07 PM

On the other hand, if this works you will have successfully laid the groundwork for buying a plasma TV down the line.

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 11:49 PM

Well, I am not sure that going from a dual from a single and adding 400MHz is a waste of money. He already has a ti-graphics card and a gig of ram. I would do this upgrade if I could, just for the duals, but I think my price spot would be for the 867's.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 01:16 AM

i got a dual 500 and if/when i upgrade i will plop the cash down for a dual 1.2, my therory is that the processor is one thing you should never skimp on, plus the prieces will comedown to more manageable, by the time i will really need it.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

macosity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 01:19 AM

yeah, I concur with those who find it a mistake to upgrade the machine. I have a QS 867 also, and as far as processor speeds it is more than enough. THe only upgrades I have done is memory and hard drive wise (added ram to make it 768 and add more hd's to make it 160 GB). Save the money for your next computer.

My theory is that you should wait till your procssor speed is beaten 4x by the new ones. that leaves me a good time before trying to justify buying a new one

siluni
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2003, 08:56 AM

Not if you buy her a Powerbook ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules