Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 450 Speed

Dual 450 Speed
WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2003, 10:13 PM

Ok so I want a desktop dual G4 and can't afford one so I'm looking at second hand options. I found a couple of Dual 450 PowerMacs that are comparatively cheap. What I was wondering is how fast is such a machine? Before you throw your arms in the air and say speed can't be described, I have a couple of other questions. As my signature says I currently have an iBook. How would is perform compared to the iBook? Would it play divx movies? I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has both a dual 450 and a 600Mhz iBook.

Oh I would want to be running 10.2 on it.

TIA
Wesley

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2003, 12:47 AM

I currently run a DP 450 and I find it runs 10.2.4 very nicely. The only real recommendation for this particular machine that I would make is 1) increase your memory (Max is 2 gig) and 2) replace the video card. The original video card is the Rage 128. I replaced mine with a Gforce 2 MX. This will out perform your iBook in most situations. Especially if the applications are multithreaded.

jukepiss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 12:58 AM

I have both a dual 450 and an iBook 600. The dual 450 is way faster and more responsive than the iBook. One reason is because OSX is made for the G4 processor and for dual processors. Also if you get a dual G4, I highly suggest upgrading your video card to one that supports Quartz Extreme. I have a ATI Radeon 8500 in mine and its great. I've had my dual 450 for 2 years and its still fast enough to do all my graphics work. I use my iBook when I'm on the road and it just pokes along compared to my dual 450. If the dual 450 gets too slow you can always upgrade it now.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2003, 02:34 AM

I too am an owner of a dual 450. I have not encountered a divx that slows down the computer substantially. Its a good computer and you can buy CPU upgrades for it later on if you'd like.

mfessenden
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2003, 11:09 AM

Yeah...I'd agree with all the above statements. It's a very capable machine...but if it comes with a Rage 128 card, toss it and get yourself a Geforce 2, 3 or Radeon AGP of some sort....Quartz Extreme/Finder will be NOTICEABLY faster.

The Duals really shine when running OSX. I do a lot of work with Lightwave on mine, and can render in the background and still browse the web and email in the foreground, something that brings my 2Ghz P4 to a standstill!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by mfessenden:
Yeah...I'd agree with all the above statements. It's a very capable machine...but if it comes with a Rage 128 card, toss it and get yourself a Geforce 2, 3 or Radeon AGP of some sort....Quartz Extreme/Finder will be NOTICEABLY faster.

The Duals really shine when running OSX. I do a lot of work with Lightwave on mine, and can render in the background and still browse the web and email in the foreground, something that brings my 2Ghz P4 to a standstill!
Ugh, GeForce 3

Brings back bad memories. I bought two and flashed them and they flickered when doing anything graphics intensive and since OS X has an OpenGL overlay it would flicker every time you tried to do ANYTHING in the OS. I would suggest a Radeon 8500 or above, thats what I'm running right now and its plenty good.

WJMoore  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2003, 10:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I would certainly be replacing the video card if I got one as the upgradability is one of the reasons why I want a PowerMac. Sounds like it would be more than adequate... Now I need to find some $'s

Wesley

Forum Links
Forum Rules