Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is WaterField the Real-Deal for PB protection?

Is WaterField the Real-Deal for PB protection?
abundrefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 12:21 PM

Many people recommended me the WaterField SleeveCase as the BEST way to carry and protect a PowerBook.

What do you think?

Is it the Real-Deal?

thank's,
Andre.
Playing the groove is like driving a fancy car: you drive slowly so all the people can check you out. - Wynton Marsalis.

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 12:31 PM

Yes, they are the real deal. All their products are great.

I had bought an Incase sleeve for my previous iBook, and it had this synthetic pocket sewn inside that actually was scratching my case.

The Waterfield sleeve is all soft and padded inside. Nothing on the inside of the sleeve will leave scratches.

It has a loop on the bottom that you can hold while pulling your computer out the other side. You can custom order to have an open top with a velcro closure. Or you can order with a flap top, for more protection. And you can order a strap.

I chose the open top because I don't have a dust or dirt problem, and I also have the Waterfield Cargo bag that I put the sleeve in when I'm out on the go.

Check out the Suite Spot deals to purchase more than one item.

Waterfield Designs

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2003, 12:42 PM

Yes, they are great. I have the Racer X for my To Book and the sleeve. I also have the iPod protector. I've had the sleeve and the Racer X for almost two years now. They still look like new. I do a lot of travelling use the Racer X on a daily basis. The quality is truely outstanding. I can only recommend them. If you do a forum search, you'll find several threads discussing PB protectors.

Hope that helps.

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2003, 12:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by abundrefo:
Many people recommended me the WaterField SleeveCase as the BEST way to carry and protect a PowerBook.

What do you think?

Is it the Real-Deal?

thank's,
Andre.
[/QUOTE

i bought the sleeve for my 17" and its great --the custom design is impecable and its very sleek and mobile -- i recommend it 100%

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 01:08 PM

I bought a Racer X. It seems like the BEST way to protect the 17incher. It is all suspened and padded inside. All of their products seem great though. I am still waiting to carry something around in my Racer X...

FedEx has my Powerbook 40 miles from here. I am trying to get it from them.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 04:47 PM

I have the Waterfield SleeveCase for my TiBook 400. Have had it for about 2 years now, no complaints. Works very well and doesn't add a lot to the PowerBook's size/weight and can be put in a briefcase as well.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 06:39 PM

Agreed. The Waterfield products look superb and all of the testimonials have been great. However, after spending over $3,000 on my 17-inch, I'm just not in the mood to spend another $100+ on a bag just for my laptop. Maybe eventually, but definitely not right after my Powerbook purchase. Right now, I think I am going for a Tom Binh product. Either the Mitre which goes for $30. Or the Monolith $40. Seems fair for me.

... but to make it clear I'm not denying Waterfield anything. Great products! Just too rich for my blood right now.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
Agreed. The Waterfield products look superb and all of the testimonials have been great. However, after spending over $3,000 on my 17-inch, I'm just not in the mood to spend another $100+ on a bag just for my laptop. Maybe eventually, but definitely not right after my Powerbook purchase. Right now, I think I am going for a Tom Binh product. Either the Mitre which goes for $30. Or the Monolith $40. Seems fair for me.

... but to make it clear I'm not denying Waterfield anything. Great products! Just too rich for my blood right now.
So let me get this straight. You can spend over three grand for a computer, but you think one hundred is too much to protect it?

This kind of logic baffles me.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 07:22 PM

"So let me get this straight. You can spend over three grand for a computer, but you think one hundred is too much to protect it?

This kind of logic baffles me."

Where am I losing you? Yes. This logic makes sense to me. I had the money to buy the Powerbook, but now that I've spent (actually, my parents for most of it as a graduation present), I cannot justify spending another $100+ on it. I said maybe "eventually" in my post as well. But right now my cash is limited.

Am I still losing you? Just because I can afford a $3,000+ (just barely) laptop, doesn't mean that I have moeny to throw around.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
Just because I can afford a $3,000+ (just barely) laptop, doesn't mean that I have moeny to throw around.
So let me guess, you don't have insurance coverage to protect your $3k investment either, do you?

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 08:38 PM

Well, be careful using that laptop if you don't have a good case for it--that's the easiest way to see it get wrecked.

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 08:54 PM

You might want to look at the Smart Alec and Monolith from Tom Bihn. I own both and can certainly attest to how well they are made. The monolith is very solid and nicely padded, and will make an excellent sleeve. I've written a short review in the Peripherals forum if you're interested.

nrubenstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 09:02 PM

Andre,

I have owned a Racer-X for my TiBook for over a year, and have liked it so much that once (I thought) I would be receiving my 1/10 ordered 17" AlBook, I placed an order with WD for a 17" Racer-X back on Fri. 3/14. Although I live in AZ and only paid for regular ground shipping, the bag was delivered the following Monday morning, 3/17!

Like all their bags, the new 17" Racer-X is great looking, and, for a carrying case for a laptop with a 17" screen, "svelte," while providing maximum protection for the laptop.

WD provides great product and great service at reasonable price (the Racer-X is about $20 less than the Brenthaven bag).

Thanks,

Norm
Norman L. Rubenstein
[email protected]

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2003, 10:42 PM

Yes, they are the real deal. Just got slipcase and cargo suitespot one for my new 15" SD and am very happy. Very elegant and good quality.

Antonio

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 11:20 PM

Excellent service too. Gary will peronally answer any questions if you call.

b3b0p
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 11:26 PM

Not to get a war started here but what about Timbuk2 (http://timbuk2.com)? Is Waterfield superior? What makes them so much better?

Chris

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 11:30 PM

The Waterfield products seem very well thought out and of superior construction, but that's just me. They also seem to have more useful features. For instance, the inside of the accesory compartment on the Racer X is a golden yellow. Have you ever tried to find one of your black cables or accessories inside of black pockets in a a black compartment. Not a major problem, but the yellow makes it visually easy to quickly locate your stuff. Little touches like that are what sets apart WD.

Dubloseven
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2003, 12:28 AM

the timbuk2 bags are also very nice. i think its funny that both of these bag companies are based inand build their bags in san francisco. yeah bay area! anyways, my friend has a timbuk2 bag and i really like it. i was going to get a timbuk2, but they arent releasing their updated computer bag until late april. i found a great price for the waterfield bag, so i'm getting that one instead.
MacBook 2.0, 4 gig Nano, Nike+
loving cal poly slo every minute!

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2003, 12:38 AM

I own a Waterfield Racer-X for my TiBook. (Also use it for the new 12".)

However...

While it is well constructed, extremely well padded and protects the finish of these delicate PowerBooks, I wouldn't want to drop the case from any significant height or down a flight of stairs. I doubt it would be THAT well protected.

I also own the Brenthaven case made specifically for the Ti. Lots of room for "stuff", much more than the Waterfield case. And, the built-in removeable sleeve is what tips my preference to the Brenthaven instead of the Waterfield. INCREDIBLE custom fit protection when the computer is in the sleeve. I have no fear of dropping this thing; I know my computer is protected from the perils of "oops".

That's why I bought a second Brenthaven for my new AlBook.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2003, 12:40 AM

Clarification: I use the Brenthaven case, not the backpack.

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2003, 01:17 AM

I have had the Racer-X for my 15" for two years. Some serious abuse, and it looks like new. The workmanship of the Waterfield stuff is incredible!

The new 17" Racer-X is the same as the old one, just bigger to accomadate the larger machine. There are a few refinements, but nothing major.

It seems quite cheap - $129. I looked at the Brenthaven bags at MWSF - they seem to be a similar quality. They also seem to offer a bit more 'protection', although the Racer-X comes up nowhere short.

So, I would base your decision on which design you like best.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 23, 2003, 05:16 AM

"So let me guess, you don't have insurance coverage to protect your $3k investment either, do you?"

Actually, no I don't have insurance on a notebook that I don't even have yet.

Man, you guys really know how to jump on people's backs. Where's the love?

Forum Links
Forum Rules