Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Terrible battery life in 10.2.4

Terrible battery life in 10.2.4
mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 06:42 PM

I've hunted through the threads, I feel like I've tried everything--PRAM, under keyboard button, decharge/recharge. All of our houses laptops under 10.2.4 are dropping out--they get about 25% charge and suddenly plunge to 0%, going straight into deep sleep.

Are there any other theories, or do I need to revert to 10.2.3?

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2003, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:
I've hunted through the threads, I feel like I've tried everything--PRAM, under keyboard button, decharge/recharge. All of our houses laptops under 10.2.4 are dropping out--they get about 25% charge and suddenly plunge to 0%, going straight into deep sleep.

have you tried calling Apple & asking for a new battery? my 800 DVI doesnt have this problem. best of luck......
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 08:33 PM

There are lots of reports of battery trouble with 10.2.4, much of it being a faulty indicator. You might have 1 1/2 hours of batter life when the icon on the menu bar says only 20 minutes. They're talking about it at XLR8 Your Mac and at the Apple Discussion boards. The next update, due in less than a month according to developers, should address this issue.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:

I didn't notice any difference on my Tibook since I upgrade to 10.2.4..This is weird..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 10:49 PM

Some are talking about a similar problem at macrumors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=22868

It seems that they're all waiting for the next Jaguar update to fix it...

mrmister  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 01:08 AM

Sigh...I guess I will probably just hang on until the update, rather than go through the total stress of downgrading.

corp miler
Apr 1, 2003, 10:09 AM

Also having OS/battery problems since upgrading. Running 10.2 the battery life was great. I could run at least 3 hours. After upgrading to 10.2.4 I quickly noticed the PB battery indicator always read "calculating" and would go into a coma after 1 1/2 or so. I switched the indicator from "time remaining" to "percent". At about 87% the PB goes to into its deep sleep without any warning. I called AppleCare and after about 30 minutes of hold-question-hold-question-etc was told they are working on the issue. Unfortunately I need this PB for traveling in about a month. If it isn't fixed, I may be forced to reformat my system and downgrade to 10.2! Thanks Apple.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by corp miler:
Also having OS/battery problems since upgrading. Running 10.2 the battery life was great. I could run at least 3 hours. After upgrading to 10.2.4 I quickly noticed the PB battery indicator always read "calculating" and would go into a coma after 1 1/2 or so. I switched the indicator from "time remaining" to "percent". At about 87% the PB goes to into its deep sleep without any warning. I called AppleCare and after about 30 minutes of hold-question-hold-question-etc was told they are working on the issue. Unfortunately I need this PB for traveling in about a month. If it isn't fixed, I may be forced to reformat my system and downgrade to 10.2! Thanks Apple.
Just wait for 10.2.5.. it should come out anytime now..some said beginning of april..

PBAddict
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2003, 01:35 PM

No problem on my G3 Pismo same battery life under 10.2.4 as 10.2.3. The thing I love about the Pismo is using the expansion bay for a second battery. Makes a Great web surfing machine over airport. Eight Hours of Battery Life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules